MT-2 / Metal Zone clone PCB

I have an old one and the Waza one. The original I removed two caps that I think disables one of the gyrator mid peaking filters (too lazy to look it up) and it makes it much more usable as a distortion or boost pedal.

the custom mode is nice on the Waza, more modern/refined sounding and it has less bees in it, in that mode. Easier to dial in, for sure. I’d be curious to know what the differences are (please not just one or two caps different)

Kinda excited about this.
The MT-2 was my first dirt pedal back in ‘94. Used that for a couple of years and it was a lot of fun.
Don’t NEED one now, but would consider building one for nostalgia’s sake and because I’d probably have a little better control over it, or take a different approach to the EQ.

MT-2 is the ...

bee-legs.jpg

... Bee's knees.

I think it’s partially due to the fact that most people get them really early on in their playing and don’t know how to dial something like that in. I’m sure I would’ve done like 100% full gain, mids totally scooped, on some cheap solid state practice amp. Then I would’ve blamed the pedal.
Have you seen Ola run one into the power section of his Randall head on YouTube? Sounds killer compared tos most Metal Zone tones I've heard.

Also there's a Nordic Metal PCB on another manufacturer's website, none in stock atm but that might be an option for you if the Waza version doesnt appear here soon. Personally I'm going to wait for this one 😎

Have you seen Ola run one into the power section of his Randall head on YouTube? Sounds killer compared tos most Metal Zone tones I've heard.

Also there's a Nordic Metal PCB on another manufacturer's website, none in stock atm but that might be an option for you if the Waza version doesnt appear here soon. Personally I'm going to wait for this one 😎
Everything Ola does is '' Will it Chug'' so everything sounds chug chug !!!

I think it’s partially due to the fact that most people get them really early on in their playing and don’t know how to dial something like that in. I’m sure I would’ve done like 100% full gain, mids totally scooped, on some cheap solid state practice amp. Then I would’ve blamed the pedal.
Exactly. 4 knobs of EQ on a pedal + 3-5 knobs of EQ on an Amp is just too much for a beginner guitarist. The high compression is also a problem, which is why the LED clipping mods are so popular.

Almost a decade ago, I bought an MT-2, modded it and gave it a metal head friend as a gift. He was stoked but just couldn't get a consistent sound out of it.

Exactly. 4 knobs of EQ on a pedal + 3-5 knobs of EQ on an Amp is just too much for a beginner guitarist. The high compression is also a problem, which is why the LED clipping mods are so popular.

Almost a decade ago, I bought an MT-2, modded it and gave it a metal head friend as a gift. He was stoked but just couldn't get a consistent sound out of it.
It's too much for some of us experienced guitarists too! 😅

It's too much for some of us experienced guitarists too! 😅
You know, when I first started building PedalPCB circuits I was on a 6-knob kick. I built about 10 6-knob/125B circuits and loaded them all onto my pedalboard at once. After the board got completed I started having moments like "...F***, how did I like the Alpha Dog set? Oh crap, now it's not interacting with the Warden right. Okay, now how much Lower Mid was right on the Omnicabsim when playing with Distortion? Agghh why does everything have so many controls!"

After coming to accept that there was such a thing as too much tweakability, I replaced each pedal with a 3-knob equivalent and haven't looked back. I think the lesson is that if you only have a few pedals, it's great to have jack-of-all-trades pedals with lots of controls. If you have a lot of pedals, you want simple pedals that 'do one thing, do it well'.

Back