Muffler noise gate

PKRPedals

Has anybody built this board yet? There are no build docs as of yet and I have a problem with mine. It works but I have to turn the pot past half way to get sound. After turning past half way, it seems to work ok. Maybe bad pot?

I've built one. I do recall it being possible to completely gate off the signal, but I don't think that should cover half the range of the pot.

I'll get the build docs / schematic worked up today.

I was a little thrown that the gate control seemed to be backwards (to me). At 5 o'clock, it is fully open, at 9 o'clock nothing is getting through. I went through a debugging process with it early on because it would cut out entirely, no matter what the dial was set to... and I had the led backward. I also found noise was being introduced by my cheap-o 9v wall wart. On a battery or isolated PS, sounded fine.
How are you testing it?
I put the muffler after compression, distortion etc, but before boost (modulation/delay is all in the fx loop). With my Les Paul, I set the pot at 1:00, and it's really, really quiet. With my Strat, I have to go to about 10:30 to really kill the hum from vintage single coils. That seems right and appropriate to me.

Last edited:
I was a little thrown that the gate control seemed to be backwards (to me). At 5 o'clock, it is fully open, at 9 o'clock nothing is getting through. I went through a debugging process with it early on because it would cut out entirely, no matter what the dial was set to... and I had the led backward. I also found noise was being introduced by my cheap-o 9v wall wart. On a battery or isolated PS, sounded fine.
How are you testing it?
I put the muffler after compression, distortion etc, but before boost (modulation/delay is all in the fx loop). With my Les Paul, I set the pot at 1:00, and it's really, really quiet. With my Strat, I have to go to about 10:30 to really kill the hum from vintage single coils. That seems right and appropriate to me.
I tried it after distortion

Back