Negative Voltage and the Protoboard

Elton_Sharp

Hey folks,

I've been having a lot of fun with my protoboard lately and ran into what I thought would be a simple circuit, but has me left me with a lot questions https://www.homemade-circuits.com/how-to-make-single-transistor-led/.

The article says 9-12V should be enough, but I couldn't get it to work using the the positive 9V and GND terminals. It lights the LED when I use the 18V terminal, but no blinking so my guess is the issue there is too high of a voltage.

It works exactly as described when I utilize the 3.3V or 5V terminals with the -9V terminal. Am I just providing the recommended 12V to the circuit by using the 3.3V terminal and the -9V terminal as my common connection? I think I'm missing a couple important concepts, so the questions that I can think to ask are

1. What is the purpose of the -9V terminal on the protoboard, and negative voltage in general?

2. Do positive and negative voltages sum like they're both positive values? That's the behavior I observed with my multimeter across a postive voltage terminal and the -9V terminal.

Last edited:
Negative voltage is useful for a number of things. The simplest idea would be a PNP fuzz face or other PNP bjt circuits. This is with respect to ground. You could also power an opamp with 9V and -9V instead of 9V and ground. This can give your signal extra wiggle room, but not always

Back