NOOB, need help understanding schematic.

DUMPYDUMPER

I'm trying to understand schematics more & this 1 is confusing me. its for the 5lb bag fuzz pedal.

I'm confused on what this sqaure symbol with + & - means/ what is would be called in kicad. Can anyone explain?

also why do this schematic show 2 symbols for an ic when the pcb only has 1? i understand that its showing the different pins of the ic but would that create 2 footprints in the pcb editor? any help would be great! sorry very new to this & trying to understand more.

al imageedit_2_9473463491.gif

The three things you have highlighted are all the same op amp. The + and - represent pins (Edit 8 and 4).

Not sure about Kikad but in easy eda I select a footprint that has these three parts under the same heading.

To make just one footprints out of 3 parts they must be named the same thing exactly except for the number. Eg ic1.1, ic1.2, ic1.3

Last edited:
You say you have KiCad, take a look at the symbol for the part number listed for that part (or any other dual op amp). You'll see that each op amp is represented with three pins, + input, - input, and output. So you have two op amps, each having these three pins, then you need to supply power to this integrated circuit, and that happens with the other two pins of the eight pin package.

1720819540957.png

fast replies! thank you. I for sure understand what it represents now. Still not sure how i would recreate something like that in kicad though.

(never mind! figured it out. in case anyone else needs this help though, if you right click the ic symbol, it will show "symbol units" and then show unit A-C.)

Last edited:
Anything dual or quad, in this case op amps will be separated in Kicad as you say into sections A, B, C, D each representing a single op amp circuit within a dual or quad package

Mainly I think to avoid clutter in your schematic, it's a lot tidier and much less congested using a 3 pin op amp symbol with connections off it rather than an 8 pin one with lots of connections crossing over each other etc and creating a bit of a mess

Although there's only one physical op amp it's 2 in 1 package

So as you've discovered you'd have IC1A pins 1,2,3 and IC2B pins 5,6,7

The power pin 8 and ground pin 4 are usually left out and shown in the power circuit as with this schematic where you can see 8 is connected to power and 4 ground of the NE5532 and its usually one of the many assumptions in electronics that you know that

Like everything in electronics there's usually more than one way of representing something so you won't always see the box or IC type listed that pins 4 and 8 belong to and obviously if it was a quad or other IC the power and ground pins would be different numbers

A TL074 for example power pin 4 ground pin 11

There's lots of little things you'll pick up as you gain experience, god knows how long it took me to figure out what the small 4 and 8's were and I probably spent at least a day and a half messing with a dual triode symbol before I realised there were 2 parts on the Kicad symbol drop down tab

There are lots of intricacies in electronics nobody really does everything the same way, some people list all cap values in uf some 3 digit codes and some all pf thankfully more list pf, nf and uf but you'll get those eureka moments when you suss it for yourself

I would suggest taking KiCad in steps since you are new. Work on schematics first like it appears that you are. Get a good library to make sure you are working with the correct parts. This will make your life much easier. KiCad has a ton of useable parts in there but also a lot more you will never use. It can be daunting at first to sort through them if you don't know exactly what you are looking for. I suggest searching the forum for the KiCad Madbean library. Once you have that loaded (there are tutorials in this forum) just practice building schematics and get used to the symbols used for the parts. The more you get familiar with this portion the easier it gets. I would also suggest removing all the KiCad libraries you won't use. Just leave the Madbean library. There is also a thread on hiding those libraries. You can always get them back later. Start with small schematics like the el sol and copper clad. Get a few small victories before you move on to more complex circuits. Get a firm understanding of the schematics before you move on to anything else.

Back