Obsidious for a coworker

Diynot

624C8BEC-8773-4829-AE58-BA625A534587.jpeg 2953086F-4E5D-44D8-A1A5-DF51D5C1F6A9.jpeg
As the title states, it’s an Obsidious. I let a coworker test drive mine and he liked it so I built this to pay him back for some computer work he did for me. Is a good sounding drive circuit. I figured I’d go ahead and disappoint the masses by posting this ahead of my next round of artless wonders. I view my pedals as an extension of myself, pretty bland aesthetically with maybe a tidy build inside…..ha, who am I kidding.

I wish I had time to sit down and learn how to add fancy artwork to my pedals...but I don't and probably won't ever. Long live to the boring looking pedals that sound amazing!

spinal-tap-none-more-black-nigel-nigel-tufnel-5.png

View attachment 27000View attachment 27001
As the title states, it’s an Obsidious. I let a coworker test drive mine and he liked it so I built this to pay him back for some computer work he did for me. Is a good sounding drive circuit. I figured I’d go ahead and disappoint the masses by posting this ahead of my next round of artless wonders. I view my pedals as an extension of myself, pretty bland aesthetically with maybe a tidy build inside…..ha, who am I kidding.
You're not alone brother! I actually bought a little thermal labelling gizmo and started printing clear labels for the knobs on the pedals I send to my brother. I also write up a little "user guide" with some history, background and suggested settings of all the pedals I've sent him.

But as for me, I have like zero artistic ability and can't even begin to wrap my head around what guys like @thewintersoldier and @Manuel Ammon do to come up with such cool graphic ideas. So....I don't even try:) Powercoated enclosures and knob color is about the extent of my "pedal aesthetic".

You're not alone brother! I actually bought a little thermal labelling gizmo and started printing clear labels for the knobs on the pedals I send to my brother. I also write up a little "user guide" with some history, background and suggested settings of all the pedals I've sent him.

But as for me, I have like zero artistic ability and can't even begin to wrap my head around what guys like @thewintersoldier and @Manuel Ammon do to come up with such cool graphic ideas. So....I don't even try:) Powercoated enclosures and knob color is about the extent of my "pedal aesthetic".
The cool graphics idea is just that. An idea. The hardest part of enclosure art, for me, is deciding what to put on there. My first build was a clear sticker of a video game character slapped on there and thought it was pretty cool. Heck, you don’t even need to be that artistic to get something cool looking. Take acrylic paint for example: they’re $.60 a tube at Walmart and you can get some cool splatter effects by mixing it with a few drops of water and flicking a paint brush. Don’t like how it turned out? Wipe it before it dries with a damp paper towel and start again. For the record I have zero photoshop skills hence the paint comment.

I “tongue in cheek” the no art thing a lot just because there is a lot of chatter ab it on the forum. It is super impressive the work some put into their final product and I applaud those that can do it. I have tried a few different art styles including electro/salt etching and paint pens. I even tried using GIMP, but it crashed my pos computer (hence the need for the computer repair). I like the challenge of a bigger build. As @thewintersoldier has said, anyone can shove some wires and parts into a pretty box, but it doesn’t mean sh*t if it doesn’t work. Lipstick on the pig if you will. Guess that means I need to start posting demos……

I “tongue in cheek” the no art thing a lot just because there is a lot of chatter ab it on the forum. It is super impressive the work some put into their final product and I applaud those that can do it. I have tried a few different art styles including electro/salt etching and paint pens. I even tried using GIMP, but it crashed my pos computer (hence the need for the computer repair). I like the challenge of a bigger build. As @thewintersoldier has said, anyone can shove some wires and parts into a pretty box, but it doesn’t mean sh*t if it doesn’t work. Lipstick on the pig if you will. Guess that means I need to start posting demos……
If I felt the need to provide “proof” or meet someone else’s expectations, I’d have to re-think the hobby. I suppose it’s another ballgame if you sell pedals though.

Excellent work and very nice tidy build.... You don't need fancy graphic to build good pedal.

However, for me, the whole find the pedal a visual identity is part of the fun. I've been lucky to have fooled with graphic software most of my adult life, so it's not a steep learning curve today.

But at the end if you build a good looking pedal that doesn't sound good... what's the point ! More time should have been spent on the circuit !

This pedal is The New Black, for summer.
Black was so last season, but this pedal — it's fresh.
Long-live The New Black.

Black is the only colour that's strong enough to make up a whole pedalboard.
Black is the only colour that can make your builds look classy and simple, charming yet effortless, sexy yet elegant — all at the same time.
The magic and mystique of black never fails to amaze.
A black pedal is to stage-presence swagger what a riff-hook is to a hit song.

Everyone needs at least one little black pedal on their board.

This pedal is The New Black, for summer.
Black was so last season, but this pedal — it's fresh.
Long-live The New Black.

Black is the only colour that's strong enough to make up a whole pedalboard.
Black is the only colour that can make your builds look classy and simple, charming yet effortless, sexy yet elegant — all at the same time.
The magic and mystique of black never fails to amaze.
A black pedal is to stage-presence swagger what a riff-hook is to a hit song.

Everyone needs at least one little black pedal on their board.
I mean, c’mon the name is Obsidius playing on Dark Glass= obsidian it was a no brainer. That and the dude I was building it for specifically requested all black.

The cool graphics idea is just that. An idea. The hardest part of enclosure art, for me, is deciding what to put on there. My first build was a clear sticker of a video game character slapped on there and thought it was pretty cool. Heck, you don’t even need to be that artistic to get something cool looking. Take acrylic paint for example: they’re $.60 a tube at Walmart and you can get some cool splatter effects by mixing it with a few drops of water and flicking a paint brush. Don’t like how it turned out? Wipe it before it dries with a damp paper towel and start again. For the record I have zero photoshop skills hence the paint comment.
I actually did try to paint my very first pedal build attempt. I used a can of mailbox paint, multiple thin coats, let it dry for days. Then I put a waterslide label on it, then intended to hit it with a couple of light coats of clear coat. As SOON as the clear coat hit the enclosure all the paint shriveled up and puckered underneath. I have no idea what I did wrong. I keep that enclosure on my bench to remind me of why all my pedals are blank.....heh....

I actually did try to paint my very first pedal build attempt. I used a can of mailbox paint, multiple thin coats, let it dry for days. Then I put a waterslide label on it, then intended to hit it with a couple of light coats of clear coat. As SOON as the clear coat hit the enclosure all the paint shriveled up and puckered underneath. I have no idea what I did wrong. I keep that enclosure on my bench to remind me of why all my pedals are blank.....heh....
I have no experience with mailbox paint, but I've used regular rustoleum and clear coat for a few builds and they work just fine for me. Just make sure the can says it works on metal.

Edit: it also helps if you put a coat of primer on before anything else to allow the paint to stick properly. I still prime it when I use simple acrylics with a brush.

I have had that happen as well. From what I have read, it happens when the underlying coat has not dried fully (drying times dependent on ambient temp and humidity) and the top new coat dries faster than the under coat.

Did it puckered up on the waterslide surface or on the painted sides as well... I've problems with clear coating enclosure that had a vinyl stickers applied on the face. It looks like the clear coat forms drops in large grouping instead of leveling evenly (sort of a mercury type effect). I still haven't figure that one out yet. But I never had issue with waterslides...

Temperature.

The ambient temp and the paint itself have to be in their respective correct zones.

It was barely warm enough the other day to spray, but my current build (one of many concurrents) had been stalled long enough so I rattled the can...

Runs, dust...

Temperature.

The ambient temp and the paint itself have to be in their respective correct zones.

It was barely warm enough the other day to spray, but my current build (one of many concurrents) had been stalled long enough so I rattled the can...

Runs, dust...
Yeah, I do mine outside when I do and inevitably some dumbass gnat ends up embedded in the paint. Need a good sized cardboard box to make a spray booth

Did it puckered up on the waterslide surface or on the painted sides as well... I've problems with clear coating enclosure that had a vinyl stickers applied on the face. It looks like the clear coat forms drops in large grouping instead of leveling evenly (sort of a mercury type effect). I still haven't figure that one out yet. But I never had issue with waterslides...
Whole dang thing puckered up, I started sanding it back to start over then said "F this.....", and that's the way I left it :)

Reactions: fig
Back