DEMO I built a pedal for Mark Hoppus of blink-182!

This post contains an audio or video demo

UtilityBeltFX

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
[so sorry for the clickbait thumbnail]

The first concert I ever went to was blink-182 and Green Day on the Pop Disaster tour, 2002. I saw three boobs that night!

Ross Jump (young).jpg
(me circa 2002)

I've gotten some attention recently for building a blink-182-in-a-box pedal (more on that another time) and because of that, Mark Hoppus's bass tech started following me on instagram. I knew I had a special opportunity to shoot my shot, so I went for it! I sent him a message thanking him for the follow, and asked if I could build a custom bass fuzz to send to Mark. His response was "yeah, that'd be rad!" It happened to be on my birthday I asked, and was such a treat to get that response. blink is currently on tour in Europe, so he detailed that they would have some crew members back in the states soon, and I could ship it to them to bring back to Europe. (I ended up shipping it to Tom DeLonge's guitar tech, which was extra crazy for 12 year old me).

I decided to go with my tried and true EHX Big Muff, built to Sovtek Green Russian specs. It just rules on bass, plain and simple.

But I knew I wanted to design something really special for the enclosure that hopefully Mark would love. Additionally I only had about 2-3 weeks to have it printed by Tayda, and fully assembled to get to the crew members in time to make it back to Europe.

hmnim.png

Mark owns a company called Hi My Name Is Mark, that sell shirts, hats, and even his custom Fender Jaguar bass, which is only available through his online store. I stole his logo which is a cool octopus graphic, and used that for the main image. Hi My Name is Muff was an obvious and fun pun to go with, so I got the Big Muff font and tweaked it a bit.

The color is important though.

a7lxmzehtyca1.jpg

This is Mark's bass Skully that he received from the Fender custom shop around 2001. He used it on the tour I first saw him back in 2002 and then retired it in 2006. After surviving Cancer last year, he brought it out of retirement for their tours this year, so I knew I had to make the font Skully pink.

Hi My Name Is Muff jpg.jpg

For the blend, I once again used the Buff n Blend circuit from GuitarPCB. Works great, sounds great! Because its going to a bit of a famous rockstar I went ahead and opted for the nice Lumberg jacks, and heat-shrinked the connections.

I also left a clearcoat-only hidden message that says "Octopuses Exist" as a little jab toward his alien-obsessed bandmate Tom.

HMNIM guts.JPG

Tried to keep it nice and tidy in there in case anyone peeks inside :)

All in all this was a very special and surreal project for me. blink-182 was a huge gateway into playing guitar for me, and to send them a pedal I built only a year into my pedal building career was an experience I'll always remember!

I'll update this thread when they receive the pedal and if they give me any feedback 🤞

UPDATE:
1000005120.png

Mark received the pedal and immediately posted it on his Instagram story!

Thanks for reading!

Ross

Last edited:
Damn, that's cool! Enema was a formative album for me, and your 2002 pic looks relatable!

I once thought about sending an unsolicited build to a guitar hero of mine, but decided not to. After seeing this, I might have to reconsider.

That looks awesome! I hope you get some good feedback. Where did you get the little chicken head knobs?

Mark seems like a really cool guy and I'm glad he's in remission. I kinda lost track of them after Enema.

GREAT BOOBS!
[so sorry for the clickbait thumbnail]

The first concert I ever went to was blink-182 and Green Day on the Pop Disaster tour, 2002. I saw three boobs that night!

View attachment 57223
(me circa 2002)

I've gotten some attention recently for building a blink-182-in-a-box pedal (more on that another time) and because of that, Mark Hoppus's bass tech started following me on instagram. I knew I had a special opportunity to shoot my shot, so I went for it! I sent him a message thanking him for the follow, and asked if I could build a custom bass fuzz to send to Mark. His response was "yeah, that'd be rad!" It happened to be on my birthday I asked, and was such a treat to get that response. blink is currently on tour in Europe, so he detailed that they would have some crew members back in the states soon, and I could ship it to them to bring back to Europe. (I ended up shipping it to Tom DeLonge's guitar tech, which was extra crazy for 12 year old me).

I decided to go with my tried and true EHX Big Muff, built to Sovtek Green Russian specs. It just rules on bass, plain and simple.

But I knew I wanted to design something really special for the enclosure that hopefully Mark would love. Additionally I only had about 2-3 weeks to have it printed by Tayda, and fully assembled to get to the crew members in time to make it back to Europe.

View attachment 57224

Mark owns a company called Hi My Name Is Mark, that sell shirts, hats, and even his custom Fender Jaguar bass, which is only available through his online store. I stole his logo which is a cool octopus graphic, and used that for the main image. Hi My Name is Muff was an obvious and fun pun to go with, so I got the Big Muff font and tweaked it a bit.

The color is important though.

View attachment 57225

This is Mark's bass Skully that he received from the Fender custom shop around 2001. He used it on the tour I first saw him back in 2002 and then retired it in 2006. After surviving Cancer last year, he brought it out of retirement for their tours this year, so I knew I had to make the font Skully pink.

View attachment 57226

For the blend, I once again used the Buff n Blend circuit from GuitarPCB. Works great, sounds great! Because its going to a bit of a famous rockstar I went ahead and opted for the nice Lumberg jacks, and heat-shrinked the connections.

I also left a clearcoat-only hidden message that says "Octopuses Exist" as a little jab toward his alien-obsessed bandmate Tom.

View attachment 57227

Tried to keep it nice and tidy in there in case anyone peeks inside :)

All in all this was a very special and surreal project for me. blink-182 was a huge gateway into playing guitar for me, and to send them a pedal I built only a year into my pedal building career was an experience I'll always remember!

I'll update this thread when they receive the pedal and if they give me any feedback 🤞

Thanks for reading!

Ross
GREAT MUFF!
Way to go for it!

This is so sick, what an awesome experience!

I saw them in Seattle over the summer. I was a little unsure about how they'd sound since they're aging a bit and angsty pop-punk might feel weird coming from dudes in their 50s, but they absolutely ripped it the entire time. So freaking good.

Screenshot_20231002-071145.png

UPDATE!!!

Mark received the pedal today and immediately posted it on his Instagram story!!!

I nearly fainted when I saw this, so crazy and surreal! His tech messaged me and said they're checking it out and possibly using it at the show in Portugal tonight!

Sorry for all the exclamations but this is the craziest thing to ever happen to me 🥲🥲🥲

Back