DEMO AionFX Comet Legacy (Pic's or it's a...........Boss DS-1)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So in my journey to explore all the DIY-able Boss pedals (thanks to @Guardians of the analog :)) I've up until now avoided the DS-1.
Seems like the Boss DS-1 is the butt of a lot of jokes even though I've never played one myself.

I do remember back in the day when Robert Keeley was just starting to make a name for himself selling modded pedals on Ebay, he sold a lot of modded DS-1's and what caught my attention what that Steve Vai bought one, liked it so much, the bought one for his friend Joe Satriani.

But "distortion" was never my thing back then.

Despite the poor reputation, the Boss DS-1 seems like a ubiquitous pedal and Boss sells a crap ton of them. They are very affordable and you can just about get them anywhere.

So when I was looking at the Aion Comet legacy board and reading up a bit on the history of the DS-1, it was an interesting read and I decided to build it.

The AionFX board supports both the Pre-1994 version as well as the post 1994. It seems like the older MIJ pre-94 ones are supposed to sound better and it was the changes post 94 in the components as well as component quality that has contributed to it's reputation of being thin, fizzy, and trebly and generally unpleasant gain character.

So my intention originally was to build the pre-94 version with some of the mods that are an amalgamation of the mods from Keeley, Analogman and Monte Allums.

Well that got thwarted when both of the obsolete SIP TA 7136AP opamps I rolled the dice on Ebay turned out both to be duds. Fakes, or duds, whatever, they didn't work in the pedal. Fortunately, I thought ahead and planned for that possibility and soldered in a DIP 8 socket anyway, so as soon as I popped in a 4558 it fired right up.

The second issue I ran into I'm still scratching my head on. Like most of Aion's older boards, there's an alternate clipping section on a toggle where you can have both the stock clippers and one alternative. The pre-94 MIJ clippers in this pedal were the 1S2473's which are unobtanium. The main feature being that they have a fairly high vF and clip at between 1 and 1.2v. To simulate that I tried "stacking" a 1N914 + a BAT46 which got me to around 1.02v.

For the second set of clippers I used a pair of red diffused LED's.

The problem is, the clipping toggle doesn't work and I'm not sure why. I've had the thing apart a couple of times, tried some different configurations of using the pads but I can't get it to do anything. I have a feeling I'm just not using the pads correctly as it's not very intuitive but gave up.
So I'm not exactly sure what clipping I'm hearing but I have an idea.

One of the other mods I did was the "Big Muff" mod, in that with a cap and a couple of diodes, you can turn add another pre-op amp clipping stage like a Big Muff.
So the signal gets clipped before the opamp amplifies it. It could be that this is the clipping thats actually coming through since my post opamp clippers don't seem to be working.

I may take one more shot at figuring out what's going on with the clipping toggle but here's the irony, it sounds pretty darn good the way it is!

I'm not sure if it's just the BMP clipping that I'm hearing or what.

Anyway, it's been a bit of a frustrating project but I'm digging what I'm hearing. I think it sounds pretty darn good with all the mods. Lot's of rich harmonics and a rather dynamic pedal. It's still a bit bright but that brightness is easily tamed with the tone control or turning on my Clandestine Preamp after the DS-1.

I did a demo of how it sounds, just some noise making and turning knobs. I also threw in some sounds from my Boss PW-2 Power Drive that I posted about here.

If I ever figure out the clipping toggle thing, I'll update the demo.

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5866.JPG

Here's a shot of the SIP opamp I originally had in there. I ended up with a 4580 in there right now.

IMG_5864.JPG

DS-1 into a Marshall just breaking up…that’s the secret. Gain a hair passed 3 o’clock, tone just a step before too muffled. Boom…

Great build, as always. When I was 13, I was faced with the decision lots of us face: DS-1 or a Rat. Santa was given both as a suggestion, and went with the Boss. After all, it was $10 cheaper…

The problem is, the clipping toggle doesn't work and I'm not sure why. I've had the thing apart a couple of times, tried some different configurations of using the pads but I can't get it to do anything. I have a feeling I'm just not using the pads correctly as it's not very intuitive but gave up.

Nice build! Have you tried adding jumpers across the spare pads?

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 21.39.58.png

Nice build! Have you tried adding jumpers across the spare pads?

View attachment 57618
I could try that easily enough. I need to look at the traces but on a bare board heh. I'm thinking now that the two inner pads are connected. But then the way I did it the first time should have worked when I ran the diodes in series.

I could try that easily enough. I need to look at the traces but on a bare board heh. I'm thinking now that the two inner pads are connected. But then the way I did it the first time should have worked when I ran the diodes in series.
Yeah, if Aion's build doc is correct, then the middle two pads are connected. You can use those pad pairs to stack diodes, or I think you'll need to jumper the spare (or run a single diode across the two outer pads.

I just noticed this pic from your original post. The 1N914+BAT46 look like they should have been fine, but I don't think the LEDs would work the way they're installed.

Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 21.56.32.png

Same experience in what way? The clippers?

Yes indeed (edit) sort of

though I had the bright idea to socket all those diode pads (spoiler it didn’t help). It was a tale of woe. I ripped it all out and just soldered in some 4148s and called it a day.

Last edited:
from the realm of dumb( l live here giddleyl unaware!) is the toggle switch any good? the 1st build with the stacked diodes may have worked that side, just not been connected. I've bought auto electrical parts that were dead on the shelf. might also just be some hidden urf that got weeded out in the revised board that omits the SIL opamp.

Looks like a clean build, I wonder how do you get ground to the board? I don't see a connection, is that how tight you've cranked on the jack and stomp nuts?

I agree with the comments above about adding jumpers to the unused pads. With this board you can just use the outside pads if you are using 1 diode each way. Otherwise each pad needs to be connected. With that configuration "I Think" you end up with every clipping option being lifted.

I built mine with the old chip and it sounded indistinguishable from my '85 DS-1. I've been wanting to try with the updated chip and compare those.

Ok, I got the clipping figured out and fixed.

I tried jumpering the pads as per @rhaas suggestion. No go. Not sure why that didn't work.

But after some back and forth offline with Phil (@music6000) I decided to just ignore the two inner pads and just install the clippers on the outer pads. and Voila, that did the trick. I'm still not sure I understand how Kevin's got these pads linked up but I think he's dropped this method and is no longer doing it on his new style boards. I've only seen this arrangement on his Legacy boards and the ones I've built have all been a pain in the butt to figure out.

Anyway, I now have the "stock" clipping which is the 914 + BAT43's in series.
The center is "diode lift" or "no diode". It should be just opamp clipping but I did the Big Muff clipping mod, so there are a pair of 914's before the opamp that's also coming through.
And the final position I decided to go with a pair of BAS33's for something different.

At the end of the day, it's still a pretty harsh sounding overdrive on its own. Using the Clandestine Preamp after the pedal helps a lot.

Or as @Coda mentioned, using it to drive a crunchy amp would be a good use case.

Here's a Part II demo....

IMG_5870.JPG

that 'outer pads for single diodes' is likely the 'urf' I considered. think most peeps who used these pre 94 fed them to mesas and marshall's on the edge of break, did you try it through 1 of the reg amps and not the recording rig? Does sound ok now.

that 'outer pads for single diodes' is likely the 'urf' I considered. think most peeps who used these pre 94 fed them to mesas and marshall's on the edge of break, did you try it through 1 of the reg amps and not the recording rig? Does sound ok now.
Both demo's are running through my amp. Just clean though, not "edge of break up".
TBH I think for pushing an amp I'd prefer the SD-1. Actually, I like the SD-1 overall better than the DS-1.

was curious, taste is taste.. I can't get behind tremelos or a big muff.. let alone a klon but they still sell. boss still makes both Ds-1 and Sd-1 ;)

Back