Octarock

Ctrl4Smilerz

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Wow, what a great circuit. The build was straight forward, other than missing a part on my mouser order, and this is the first pedal in a while that didn't require significant troubleshooting. After putting everything together, it was a little noisy and I didn't get any octave up. I opened up the enclosure and got a whiff of a terrible smell that probably killed a few of my brain cells. Turns out I had one of the ICs in backward. I was nervous that I fried it, but after flipping it, the noise went a way, and the octave up worked.

The pedal sounds good, like really good. This may be my favorite PedalPCB build yet. The octave down makes the guitar sound so big, but the octave up is the where it's at, overdriven in all the right ways. This is a killer pedal, and I highly recommend it!

PXL_20230304_010730438_2.jpg

PXL_20230303_235610233.jpg

Well done. Very clean. It's always nice to have that moment of satisfaction when it all comes together, even after a nasty burning smell. haha.
I've seen a few of these builds now, and I'm very tempted to dive in. I have an Octron 3, and I'm so tempted to built the Octarock just to compare. It's one of those pedals where I set it and leave it for a few weeks. Then I go to jam with some friends, and I change up the settings just for fun. I've used it as a boost, or just straight up octave blast. Such fun. I've used it for a gnarly solo, where half way into the solo, I toe flick the bright switch, just for a little more.
I've told myself, finish the others before you go starting another. I love this addiction/hobby.

This looks great! Nicely done. Question: How did you know where to drill holes for the knobs and switches without the build docs? I'm considering jumping into one these. But I'm a little nervous given that it would only be my second build and the full docs haven't been posted yet.

This looks great! Nicely done. Question: How did you know where to drill holes for the knobs and switches without the build docs? I'm considering jumping into one these. But I'm a little nervous given that it would only be my second build and the full docs haven't been posted yet.
I either use a different build doc with a similar layout, or just very carefully measure from the PCB itself. Use the the center pad of each pot for reference. It's a little scary the first few times but you build your confidence.

Another thing I have done is lay it out in a graphics app then print it, poke holes in the paper where the pots and switches are and see if it fits the components before drilling the enclosure.

Hell... for that matter, how did you know what components to use without the build doc?

Back