Outer space (Dark rift)

pi.cast

Lately, I've been exploring the delays territory and the dark rift looked like a great candidate to start from, plus so far I've always liked EQD pedals a lot.
This also continues the trend for laser etched enclosure faceplates I've been working on lately.
The PCB build went fairly smooth, I tried to use all film caps, and the 1uF ones were quite a tight squeeze.
I messed up the installation in the enclosure though :D: I drilled the stompbox hole too close too the pcb, so I had to scrap the 3pdt board and file the switch plastic enclosure slightly to make it fit.

Overall I'm quite happy with the way it looks and VERY happy with the sound:

IMG_8581.JPEG

IMG_8583.JPEG

IMG_8586.JPEG
IMG_8578.JPEG

That looks awesome. Love the faceplate. You could always drill the FS hole 1mm bigger and use a washer under the nut?

Where did you get the faceplate made?

That looks awesome. Love the faceplate. You could always drill the FS hole 1mm bigger and use a washer under the nut?

Where did you get the faceplate made?

That is exactly what I did, however, it was still very tight :)
Well, eventually it did fit.

I've made the faceplate myself. I've designed it in inkscape and then engraved it using a cheap laser engraver.

Nice-looking build!

I actually try to align mine on longer boards because I use pin headers to connect the 3PDT board to the main board. It's a pretty slick look.

That is exactly what I did, however, it was still very tight :)
Well, eventually it did fit.

I've made the faceplate myself. I've designed it in inkscape and then engraved it using a cheap laser engraver.
Dammit! Now you have me looking at laser engravers. :p

What did you use for the faceplate itself? Did you cut it yourself?

Dammit! Now you have me looking at laser engravers. :p

What did you use for the faceplate itself? Did you cut it yourself?

The faceplate is made out of 2mm black abs sheets that I spray paint flat white before engraving.
The perimeter cut is also made with the laser engraver as the final step. However, since my laser is not very powerful it struggles to cut through the full thickness and I have to do a LOT of passes.

To be fair, 2mm thickness is at the very limit of getting the threaded portion of the potentiometers engaged with a nut, so I'm trying to find thinner sheets which is proving harder than I thought. A lot of the thinner plastic sheets tends to made of very soft polymers that melt and distort very easily even at low power.

Looks great! Love the pedal and the faceplate. I just tried out @amplifyfun for a dung beetle build. Can’t wait to see what that looks like.

Still waiting on a machined aluminum faceplate for my dark rift from my brother in law. Should have that soon too.

The PCB build went fairly smooth, I tried to use all film caps, and the 1uF ones were quite a tight squeeze.
Very cool! I'm collecting the parts to build this, it will be my first attempt at building a delay. I'm looking at the board and there's no way I can see my big honking 1uf film caps fitting. Which ones did you use? I'm considering just using MLCC's in those spots.

Very cool! I'm collecting the parts to build this, it will be my first attempt at building a delay. I'm looking at the board and there's no way I can see my big honking 1uf film caps fitting. Which ones did you use? I'm considering just using MLCC's in those spots.
I built my Dark Rift using expensive thin 1uF box caps. They're the red ones in the photo. But I also snuck in one fat 1uF box cap, under the PCB. Should have bent the legs closer to the body, but it was the first time I tried it.

Attachments

• DRD1.jpg
    DRD1.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 7
Back