Paludarium Platform Development

I like to run time domain effects (reverb and delay) post amp in stereo and route back into mixer.

Guitar -> mono pedals -> amp -> OX BOX -> stereo time pedals -> mixer

It would be cool if there were balanced TRS inputs or low impedance XLR inputs ... maybe?

I like to run time domain effects (reverb and delay) post amp in stereo and route back into mixer.

Guitar -> mono pedals -> amp -> OX BOX -> stereo time pedals -> mixer

It would be cool if there were balanced TRS inputs or low impedance XLR inputs ... maybe?
This is an option you could add to almost any PCB, theoretically.
The audio inputs into the Daisy ADC are "unbalanced" regardless so all you need, at a minimum, is a lo-Z to hi-Z matching transformer to combine your 3 wire signal to a 2 wire signal (and the reverse for output). Superb transformers (i.e. Jensen JT-DB-EPC) would be ideal but are rather expensive. In practice this is not realllllly necessary and you can easily use far less expensive transformers (like the ones I ripped out of some old Radio Shack 1/4"-XLR adapters) at the input side and then another on the output side, or add an active circuit to output line level. The only issue there is headroom so you couldn't blast a cheap transformer with a 20volt boost pedal without extra distortion, which may sound extra great or not. Now... if you're planning on using a microphone at the input you'd likely want to add another gain stage there for obvious reasons.
SO, you'd be customizing your build, but that's OK.

It would be awesome to have the option on the PCB to build with TRS or dual TS in/outs. When running non-1/4” stereo gear thru pedals I prefer to pop an adapter on a 1/8” cable than find the right Y cable.

It would be awesome to have the option on the PCB to build with TRS or dual TS in/outs. When running non-1/4” stereo gear thru pedals I prefer to pop an adapter on a 1/8” cable than find the right Y cable.
Definitely would like a balanced stereo I/O option for use on not-guitars. -And a MIDI in option for syncing loopers or WHATEVER
It "seems like" development is stalled though.

This is an option you could add to almost any PCB, theoretically.
The audio inputs into the Daisy ADC are "unbalanced" regardless so all you need, at a minimum, is a lo-Z to hi-Z matching transformer to combine your 3 wire signal to a 2 wire signal (and the reverse for output). Superb transformers (i.e. Jensen JT-DB-EPC) would be ideal but are rather expensive. In practice this is not realllllly necessary and you can easily use far less expensive transformers (like the ones I ripped out of some old Radio Shack 1/4"-XLR adapters) at the input side and then another on the output side, or add an active circuit to output line level. The only issue there is headroom so you couldn't blast a cheap transformer with a 20volt boost pedal without extra distortion, which may sound extra great or not. Now... if you're planning on using a microphone at the input you'd likely want to add another gain stage there for obvious reasons.
SO, you'd be customizing your build, but that's OK.
I have transformers for plugging in microphones and what not into pedals. However, I was more interested in having balanced ouputs (i.e., inverted signals sent down the line) due to the noise reduction that happens with them.

I guess you are right though, I can just mod things to suite my needs.

Just got my first Seed today. I'm hoping to eventually cobble together a Boomerang III looper workalike with 3 dedicated loop foot switches and 1 additional assignable foot switch. I'm also planning on figuring out how to implement Midi sync support for keeping loop timing quantized with a drum machine master clock.

I'll most likely order a Terrarium for after I play with it on the bread board for a bit, but I'm for sure looking forward to the next version to be more expandable.

The seed is a blast, been programming it with cpp (a little) and Pd (a lot). Especially with Pd (which I had no prior knowledge of) it's super easy to prototype in a fun way and finding sounds by accident.

I would be 100% up for getting a bigger, better version of Terrarium!

Hi @Robert, Ive come accross some of the daisy seed noise threads both here and in electrosmith forum (rev5 and rev7 boards). Is this something that could be worked around in upgraded version of the Terrarium board ?

Ive come accross some of the daisy seed noise threads both here and in electrosmith forum (rev5 and rev7 boards). Is this something that could be worked around in upgraded version of the Terrarium board ?
I could be misunderstanding, but I believe the underlying issue is with the seed hardware itself (specifically, the codec(s) supported by the chips used on the Seed). Folks have tried modifying the Terrarium circuit to work around the noise issue, but it doesn't look promising.

I have a rev5 board in my stash and have been procrastinating on building or this very reason. It was suggested elsewhere that you could treat it as a DI-only box, which I might try out soon.

I could be misunderstanding, but I believe the underlying issue is with the seed hardware itself (specifically, the codec(s) supported by the chips used on the Seed). Folks have tried modifying the Terrarium circuit to work around the noise issue, but it doesn't look promising.

I have a rev5 board in my stash and have been procrastinating on building or this very reason. It was suggested elsewhere that you could treat it as a DI-only box, which I might try out soon.
Oh ok, thks for the clarification about the workarounds.

I need to get one of the new problematic Seeds to play around with and see if we can work around it, mine are all older...

I could be misunderstanding, but I believe the underlying issue is with the seed hardware itself (specifically, the codec(s) supported by the chips used on the Seed).
This was my understanding of the issue as well. The first chip they designed around became unavailable and everything else was not as good. They tried another chip for a couple of revisions and then landed on a slightly better chip but not as good as the first.

I think it's all about the signal to noise ratio which is why the issue isn't as noticable in Patch model that uses line level.

Back