Pandora's Box Forbidden Mode Issue

NastyBoy

Hello! Building a Pandora's Box for someone and I ran into a problem while trying the "Forbidden Mode" while the Gain control is set past ~1 o'clock AND the guitar volume is maxed out.
While playing with the above settings after about 5 seconds or so of continuous playing it starts to gate out (when I stop playing it's silent then a second later sound comes back with a loud pop), kind of sounding like a super gated Fuzz Face.
It also gets super dark and muffled, and some times even cuts out completely.
BUT, if I back the guitar volume off even a little (to around 9) all these problems go away. Gain under 1 o'clock with guitar volume maxed? No problem.
I get the same results regardless of what guitar I use (Strat or PRS).
And all other settings then whats above work perfectly.
Built it using a couple Fairchild UA308's and 4558. Tried a handful of different IC's, including h11f1's, but always get this result.
Triple checked to make sure I've used the right components and everything checks out, not sure where to go from here.
Thanks for any help!

Your pedal is probably working as intended. Weird things can happen with some guitars in Forbidden Mode. Are you running other effects between the guitar and the PB? Anything with a buffered bypass?

Nope, just guitar->pedal->amp (Marshall Origin 50).

Was thinking that could be a possibility. Never played an Expandora and could only find one demo with someone playing similar settings. So not sure whats the norm for this circuit.
I guess it's called 'forbidden' for a reason.

Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom