Paragon issue

brightlight

I've been using a Paragon (KoT) that I built from a StewMac kit for almost a year now and recently it started having issues.

It works perfectly - until I hit a big chord and then it does until I bypass it and turn it back on. If I pick lightly everything is golden, it's only when I hit the input with a big chord.

My initial suspicion is that the charge pump has gone bad somehow. Does that sound about right? I don't have a spare sitting around to test with since this was a kit and my third build ever. Nowadays when I order parts I get spares of ICs and certain other parts when I fill a BoM.

Thanks for any insight!

I've been using a Paragon (KoT) that I built from a StewMac kit for almost a year now and recently it started having issues.

It works perfectly - until I hit a big chord and then it does until I bypass it and turn it back on. If I pick lightly everything is golden, it's only when I hit the input with a big chord.

My initial suspicion is that the charge pump has gone bad somehow. Does that sound about right? I don't have a spare sitting around to test with since this was a kit and my third build ever. Nowadays when I order parts I get spares of ICs and certain other parts when I fill a BoM.

Thanks for any insight!
Would you say you stomp it harder when you hit a big chord? I’d measure the voltage on the charge pump before you start replacing parts.

Nope I mean physically, but I’m going with probably not. Honestly, it just sounds like a solder joint gave out. I’ve had this happen after a couple of years, I’d check the charge pump first, though.
Thanks, I'll poke around eventually. Too many things on the bench at the moment, which isn't a bad problem to have! I just had that initial suspicion and wanted to know if I was on the right track

Bad ground at guitar input...way for me to overthink things 🤪

But that doesn't explain why the symptom wasn't showing itself until I whacked the guitar with a big chord. Any guesses at the reason for this?

Back