SOLVED Parentheses fuzz mini, Boost kills sound

PraisetheSunn0

So I just built a Parentheses Mini, went pretty well. Distortion and Octave work perfectly. However when I engage the Boost switch the sound cuts off completely. I tested with an audio probe, and when Boost isn't engaged signal passes fine, but when I hit the switch the volume coming off of Q5 goes way down and I get nothing at or after C20.

Any ideas? I'm not sure how the Boost switch being on would affect the Q5 transistor in that way.

Last edited:
Check all your resister values.
I don’t have the Parenthesis schematic handy, bu that’s what tripped me up recently.

I just built a Mole/ Hog’s-foot on my breadboard and the transister wasn’t passing sound, I checked values, swapped trans/breadboards/wires
but all my trouble shooting was for naught.

I got a friend to look at it: He spotted my mistake immediately, a 390k where a 390 Ohm should go…
I’d absentmindedly tacked on a “k” to my schematic while redrawing it.
🤗
Worked fine after swapping the correct resister in.

Post photos if you can, it lets the expert debuggers here work their magic

see if you can trim up those loose wires going into the board. check very closely for shorts around the wiring -- especially for the boost connections to the board and footswitch.

do you have something between the back of the pots and the PCB to insulate them?

Looks like LED - D6 is reversed so clipping may not work???
Flat spot on LED base usually indicates Cathode!
That Ground pad wiring looks scary next to the Power pad???
Confirm Q6 is BS170?
Need better Picture of Footswitch wiring

Yeah, what Music6000 said — check that gnd coming off the jack at the board and make sure there’s no bridge between power and that jack’s gnd ( both sides of the board).

May as well turn the power-jack slightly, too, so that the positive & negative tabs line up with the board’s +/- pads.

The Devil is in the details 😈

Last edited:
Ok, so I just completely redid the wires on the footswitches and that seemed to fix it. @music6000 you're absolutely right. I keep putting LEDs in backwards in just about all my builds. (I had to flip around both of the indicator LEDs to get them to work)

Thanks for the help everyone

Back