Pcbguitarmania vu-tron

Solution
Some update:

I tried new 5089 from digikey. Same issue. No effect. So I ordered a new pcb from pcbguitarmania, since I was building this for a good friend’s bassist and my enclosure labels matched it.

Pcbguitarmania takes forever to fulfill orders - either he is shipping 1k units a day or … anyways, the new one isn’t shipped yet so I had time to debug. Decided to perform a full connectivity check.

Found a clear missing link from R12 to the Range pot. Never ever have I found this on ppcb or other sites. Not sure if missing connects are normal. I hope not.. coz they’re painful to find.

Shorted that link and it works! 5088 works as well. The NTE equivalent transistors work too. Have to say the effect circuit is absolutely fun! I’m...
Hope it's alright that I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I just got a nice little bundle of some PCB Guitar Mania boards. Did you wind up having success with the ones that you listed here?
Unfortunately, I haven't even tried to build them yet. So far the only thing I have built is a sizeable PCB collection.

I have seen in the FB group that somebody got their Black Mirror VII working. So I have hope for one day.

Last edited:
I had that PCB (Vu-Tron) lying around for a very long time.
I just built it with the original document, which is from March 2020, that I had printed back when I ordered it (about 2 years ago - never been any revision as it seems), which is the one that is still online.

For once (to my surprise), I had no problem with a circuit from PCB Guitar Mania...
It's working very well actually.
No such thing as the "missing link from R12 to the Range pot" you described for me...
(though it's the type of things that happens all the time with his PCBs, which is why I guess I'll never buy from him again).

I just need to drill an enclosure tomorrow (I had an enclosure with the top jacks drilled, from a previous failure, which won't make it with this one - To whoever might build this one : avoid the top jacks, and also : if the DC jack has to be on top, drill it low enough).

That will probably go on my board as I really had fun with this one tonight.
Still I might build another enveloppe filter one of these days, out of curiosity (might try the Madbean Kraken).
Minnow is also among my next builds.
Any alternative suggestion?

Recently I read somewhere around this forum that the Lemon Rockverb doesn't work, full-stop.

One of the freebies I received as compensation for an order-error is the aforementioned PCB, and mine's gotta be the earliest one available because that circuit wasn't even offered on the PCBGM website for about a year after I received the freebie — so that doesn't bode well for a successful build.

Interesting business model and way to get customers to test-build boards for you...

Recently I read somewhere around this forum that the Lemon Rockverb doesn't work, full-stop.

One of the freebies I received as compensation for an order-error is the aforementioned PCB, and mine's gotta be the earliest one available because that circuit wasn't even offered on the PCBGM website for about a year after I received the freebie — so that doesn't bode well for a successful build.

Interesting business model and way to get customers to test-build boards for you...
I can confirm the Lemon Rockverb doesn't work, as well as a few others (Cosmic Echo/Delay, anyone? LOL). I realized my mistake ordering there after buying a big stack of PCBs on sale there, as I had built a few of his circuits, all working properly (Acapulco Gold, Disaster Transport Jr., Bellows clones, among others).

Right now, the Vu-Tron is inside the box and... (Tadaaa!!!) doesn't work... Some kind of grounding issue, I guess.
BUT... On this one it might be on me, as the effect works well when the output audio jack is not inside the enclosure (if I disconnect it from the enclosure and leave it hanging, the effect is working)... There's a loud buzz when the input is not connected, even when it's off...

Gonna try a bit more... If still not working, I'll go with something reliable like the Mad Bean Kraken...

Last edited:
…the effect works well when the output audio jack is not inside the enclosure (if I disconnect it from the enclosure and leave it hanging, the effect is working)... There's a loud buzz when the input is not connected, even when it's off...

Maybe just swap the jack for an isolated one?

Not the “correct” fix for the problem, but a possible work-around.

Doh, I guess while I was typing my previous post, you'd found your solution!
Glad you sorted it out.

I've done the same durned thang, got the in&gnd on a jack mixed up, at least once... recently, too.

Back