Pcbguitarmania vu-tron

Solution
Some update:

I tried new 5089 from digikey. Same issue. No effect. So I ordered a new pcb from pcbguitarmania, since I was building this for a good friend’s bassist and my enclosure labels matched it.

Pcbguitarmania takes forever to fulfill orders - either he is shipping 1k units a day or … anyways, the new one isn’t shipped yet so I had time to debug. Decided to perform a full connectivity check.

Found a clear missing link from R12 to the Range pot. Never ever have I found this on ppcb or other sites. Not sure if missing connects are normal. I hope not.. coz they’re painful to find.

Shorted that link and it works! 5088 works as well. The NTE equivalent transistors work too. Have to say the effect circuit is absolutely fun! I’m...
Some update:

Found a clear missing link from R12 to the Range pot. Never ever have I found this on ppcb or other sites. Not sure if missing connects are normal. I hope not.. coz they’re painful to find.
With all what you said I’m impressed my first board has only one trace missing 😂

One missing link ... you were lucky there .... my first, last and only order had a board that needed all this to (maybe?) work, like drilling a hole into the PCB to add a switch ...

mania.jpg

He apparently knew about all those problems, as I got this pic when I asked questions.
The promised V2 of the PCB, to make up for this mess, was never sent.

Last edited:
Holy Smokes!!! And he is still in business!!!!!

Btw, I haven't got any update from him regarding my refund or the new order. Shall I dispute with my credit card company?

I'm going to go with Fuzz Dog pedals microV - they've a similar layout PCB.
Let me know if they're good.

Last edited:
I suspect this is not a coincidence. :cautious:

I've never heard anything negative about Fuzz Dog, I'd say that's a much safer choice.

Thanks to you @PedalPCB for helping build this safe, honest and detail-oriented community! Hope more people look at this thread or seek reviews on the forum before hitting that 'buy' button. It's always a great learning experience on these threads.

Let's just say this thread does not give me the "warm squishy" about the 5 PCBs I just ordered from PCB Guitar Mania when I got caught up by the 20% off a few days ago.

Black Mirror VII (I may be OK here according to @jeffwhitfield's build report, which is half the reason I was over there in the first place)
Lemon Rockverb
Sinner Bass Drive
Chopper Party Device
Kheiron Klon

Worst case, live and learn, I guess.

The biggest issue is that PCBGM releases and sells boards that are unverified and/or with known errors on them and doesn't update the build doc or offer proactive support to those buying borked boards. But he is happy to take your money and the credit for other peoples' work. If you look at his version of the Maestro Phaser it is a direct ripoff of Madbean's Stage Fright, including Madbean's quirky mods like and extra phase stage switch, univibe mod, and CV input. Even his website is a tryhard.

Let's just say this thread does not give me the "warm squishy" about the 5 PCBs I just ordered from PCB Guitar Mania when I got caught up by the 20% off a few days ago.

Black Mirror VII (I may be OK here according to @jeffwhitfield's build report, which is half the reason I was over there in the first place)
Lemon Rockverb
Sinner Bass Drive
Chopper Party Device
Kheiron Klon

Thankfully, I got the Kherson Klon for free. Even then, my build was jacked right after building it. Something with the buffer. So,yeah, I steer clear of them.

whistling.png
Whee whi, whee whi, whu whu wuh whuh hwuh hwih

Oddly enough the three pcbs I’ve built from them all turned out to be duds… I troubleshot till the cows came home and gave up
Which ones?

I bought a few bulk packs that were on sale, so...

I've got a dozen or so of the damn drink-coasters and wayyyy too many legit PCBs in the build queue — I may just source the circuits I wanted to try from the bilk-packs [sic] from elsewhere so that I know I won't be wasting time debugging flawed PCBs.

PS: I really hate FecalBrook, and that's where the debugging info for these things is. 😼

Lemon Rockverb
Sinner Bass Drive
Chopper Party Device
Kheiron Klon

Hope it's alright that I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I just got a nice little bundle of some PCB Guitar Mania boards. Did you wind up having success with the ones that you listed here?

Back