[PedalPCB] Clandestine Preamp

szukalski

It's been a while since I did a build report. Mainly because my builds have not been boxed, or have been on the breadboard.

I had completed the PCB build on this without testing around half a year ago but never boxed it because @MichaelW told me it was so-so (and I had a bunch of boosts already). I decided to finish it up because I am on the search for the perfect boost (my current favourites are the Modus Operandi and the Rangemaster).

Straight forward build, as far as I remember, and I used SMD for the JFET.

Graphics wise, its another of my B&W vinyl builds, testing what I can do at home without needing to have a separate spraying area. It works well enough, with it's limitations, I would look at transparent vinyl in a second run. I can see it not lasting long on the road without a sealant, but for home use it's better for me than Posca pens.

Sound-wise, it's pretty nice. There is some colouration, hence the switch, but I found it pleasing in my normal method of execution, namely as a light-to-medium boost going into an opamp overdrive. I prefer the sound from a light boost into a 50% OD instead of a 75% OD on it's own... YMMV.

What I found really nice, is using it like a power-amp in a stack. My Kliche into the Clandestine has been really fun.

cl1.jpg cl2.jpg

This is amazing! Loving the comic book graphic! Great looking build all around! May i ask what kind of caps are those (red electrolytic caps)?

Good one here. The clandestine is a good pedal and it has been in rotation since I originally built it. If I'm honest though I really only like the bright setting. What jfets did you use? I ended up using the mmbf j202 in mine
MMBF5457. I find the dark setting to be useful when the Kliche is going into it, but generally agree with the bright setting. Set and forget and adjust your tone control on the guitar.
This is amazing! Loving the comic book graphic! Great looking build all around! May i ask what kind of caps are those (red electrolytic caps)?
They're Würth. I got them from Mouser, they're lower cost and look pretty. Right now I'm just running out the inventory I have and use what is possible.
Digging the halftone effect on these latest builds! Solid artistic direction!
Cheers, the restriction of black and white forces works pretty well with comic book type art. Plus, once it's on the floor in the dark, you only see the LED..

MMBF5457. I find the dark setting to be useful when the Kliche is going into it, but generally agree with the bright setting. Set and forget and adjust your tone control on the guitar.

They're Würth. I got them from Mouser, they're lower cost and look pretty. Right now I'm just running out the inventory I have and use what is possible.

Cheers, the restriction of black and white forces works pretty well with comic book type art. Plus, once it's on the floor in the dark, you only see the LED..
I'm not a fan of dark color pedals for that reason although I prefer blinding LEDs

Well done! I absolutely love this pedal and It's been on my board ever since I built it. Couldn't recommend it enough!

I too use it in the ways you mentioned...love how my Mach 1 sounds going into it!

Back