PedalPCB Spirit Box, Dark Rift, Caesar, VFE Mobius Strip, PCBGM Echo Nightmare

Hirti

Here's part 2 of my "pedals I built in 2022"-spam. This time delay and modulation. Again all of these have a Tayda UV print (except for the VFE). :)

Spirit Box (EQD Ghost Echo)
I've been building pedals for over 14 years now but I've only ever built a reverb once (Fuzz Dog Verb Engine in 2019) so it was time for another one. Always wanted to try one of these because a lot of people in this forum like it. It's a nice sounding reverb for some space or ambient stuff but I also have a Strymon Blue Sky that I like more. 😅 The knobs are the V1 of these that Alex Millar sold for cheap on a DIY Facebook group for cheap at the start of the pandemic.

spiritbox.jpg

Dark Rift (EQD Space Spiral)
Next up is the Dark Rift. So design wise this is obviously heavily inspired by the Chase Bliss Mood. I've wanted a Mood for sooo long but they are expensive af and I know I am not smart enough to even use 1/8 of its features. So I present to you: The Dark Rift, the Mood for poor people like me. :p It's a nice sounding digital delay when the bottom row controls are turned down but the real fun beginns when they are turned up. It can get whacky really fast. 🤩
When I design something in Illustrator for a black enclosures I usually put in a 0,25-0,5 white border stroke so the text is more visible. I never had an UV print on a bright enclosure before so I didn't fully think this through so the white text is kiiiinda hard to read from far away. But it's ok, I learned something for next time. Here I again used some of the knobs from Zander Circuitry.

dark rift.jpg

Caesar (Walrus Audio Julia)
Earlier in my guitar playing career I hated chorus because when I thought about Chorus I always thought about those cheesy 80s sounds. But in 2015 I ordered a Pork Barrel (Boss CE-2) from Madbean and I loved it. :love: Been on my pedalboard ever since. So when I found out that the Walrus Julia is a modded CE-2 I had to build it. Really awesome sounding chorus, can definitely understand the hype around this pedal. It replaced my CE-2 clone on my pedalboard. The wave switch is a bit useless though, doesn't change all that much. The graphic is a Medusa graphic that I found on google and image traced in Illustrator.

julia.jpg

VFE Mobius Strip
So this one is a dual delay and I ordered it from Madbean as soon as it was released in 2018. Been sitting in my drawer since then because I couldn't get the damn thing to work. Only a couple of weeks I looked at it again and realized that I forgot to put in the charge pump and two capacitors on the switching board (duh). 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ After putting them in the pedal fired up immediately. The switch toggles between parallel and mobius modes. It's a nice sounding delay, you can get some cool rhythms with it.

vfe.jpg

PCBGM Echo Nightmare (Death By Audio Echo Dream II)
So just like some other people here I had my fair share of problems with some their pcbs. I won't order from them again but luckily this one worked perfectly first try (except for the fact that they copied the layout from the original but switched the speed and depth for some reason? Only noticed this one after the print so I had to wire them separately and not use pcb mount pots). I always wanted to try one of these because on of my favorite artists (City & Colour) had one of these on his pedal board years ago. It's a crazy experimental sounding delay. Don't really know how anyone would use the fuzz feature or the dry kill feature but it's nice to have, I guess. :LOL: I also added a second switch to get instant feedback. Thought it would be a fitting feature to this crazy thing and you can get some nice sounds out of it.
The design is a space picture that I found on google that I vectorized in Illustrator. The finished pdf is 30MB big and took 10s to open on my computer so I wasn't sure how well this one would print but it came out STUNNING. :love: It looks so good in real life and is really hard to take a good picture of it. First time I used a matte gloss print (used varnish on all my other builds) and it definitely was the right choice for this design. :)

dba1.jpg
dba2.jpg

Last edited:
What a great mix of more offbeat pedals! (Well, not Ceasar, at least to me.) I really like the graphic design on all of them. Pedals I haven’t paid much attention to (again, Ceasar excepted) that I now want to look into.

Back