perfboard aka through hole VERUSUS! printed circuit boards

~nick~

Are there any advantages for using one over the other?
I heard from some that transitioning from perf board to printed causes you to rework the design due to noise etc. Any validity to this claim?
Perf is easy to prototype with, yes, but are there any advantages in sound and noise that permits it to be used after you finished breadboarding it?

I know that if you get your design laid out and printed, it would be much less of a pain to assemble it.

Reason for this post: perf board is cheap and I have a lot of it..

I do not know for sure but I assume the answer is no. I suppose perf offers some flexibility where if you discovered one trace being in a particular spot caused an issue then you could adjust and rebuild. But if you were using the same layout then I don't see a reason that perf would be better. My assumption would be that if there was any difference the perf would actually be worse, because of the leads larger physical surface area, as opposed to a trace on a pub, increasing the chance of noise. I don't know the physics of that though, it's just a guess.

The other factor I can think of is consistency. If you had a low noise layout that you were working with it would be far easier to be consistent with a pcb.

Other than the potential noise factor in designing each type it’s a matter of personal preference. I haven’t actually done a perf layout yet, but tons of stripboard and pcb. PCB is the most time consuming to get the board ready to populate.

Back