Votes: 107 74.3%
  • No

Votes: 20 13.9%
  • No, but I would if they were included

Votes: 17 11.8%

• Total voters

Robert

Reverse Engineer
I'm curious to know how many are actually using 3PDT breakout boards with their builds?

This includes standard 3PDT and relay switching boards, regardless of the supplier / manufacturer.

If you don't currently use them, would you if it was included with the PCB?

I use them with other pcbs that don't have onboard LED/CLRs and jack grounds. I don't use them on your pcbs because your wiring accommodations are already very tidy.

I use a breakout board for a 3PDT switch with a vero project to anchor the LED for switching. I also using soft-switch relay boards for some projects that are likely to spend more time in my pedal mix. I am more likely to use just a 3PDT switch for projects I am building out of curiosity to see what they sound like, and then some of those get upscaled to a soft relay.

I also use them when i have them...heck i need to order more of them tonight for my last order, makes it much easier

It depends on the build, but I'd say ~85% of the time I "some" type. If it were included and was a good match for the build (features / size), I'd use it. Maybe offer options?

I'd also use some of those elusive power I/O power boards (hint). I missed them last time they were in stock. :oops:

I always use them unless it's a buffered bypass (ADHD for example), but one thing that would be nice would be if the Pedalpcb boards had the ability to mount the LED to them like some other breakout boards. I'm a little lazy with measuring my wiring and typically wire the LED to the board so I can use a bezel rather than putting the leads of the LED directly into the board, which often leads to the wires getting crunched up between the board and PCB. Even if I measured better, it makes using bezels more difficult, so having the ability to wire them off the 3pdt breakout and put the LED somewhere that it's not covered by the pcb would be cool

I always use them unless it's a buffered bypass (ADHD for example), but one thing that would be nice would be if the Pedalpcb boards had the ability to mount the LED to them like some other breakout boards. I'm a little lazy with measuring my wiring and typically wire the LED to the board so I can use a bezel rather than putting the leads of the LED directly into the board, which often leads to the wires getting crunched up between the board and PCB. Even if I measured better, it makes using bezels more difficult, so having the ability to wire them off the 3pdt breakout and put the LED somewhere that it's not covered by the pcb would be cool

I like using bezels as well because I like the way they look. Instead of measuring anything I will just make the LED the very last thing I solder as I fit everything in to the board: I insert the LED then put the PCB in to the enclosure upside down, dropping the LED in to the bezel as I put the pots/switches through their respective holes. I tighten everything up and then solder the LED in. This works well for me and keeps anything from getting bent out of shape (as long as you're mounting the LED where the PCB wants it) so I thought I'd share.

I voted "No, but I would if they were included", but just realized I do already have a bunch of bypass boards and never use them. Just seems like more of a hassle to me, so probably more of a "No". (Changed to a firm "No").

Relay bypass is a different story though. I'd probably use those more if I had the room/relays available.

Last edited:
I absolutely love using breakout boards as they make for a really clean and tidy final build. I actually designed a whole bunch of my own boards so I could have versions with LEDs in both sides and extra ground pads as well as a power jack if needed (non pedalpcb builds). I'd even say transition to having the LED and CLR on your breakout boards as well.

I'd say if you start just including them with every board, be sure to offer some ribbon cables in the store as they can make life a lot easier and tidier still.

I know they're not very expensive, but since I'm used to not using them I don't bother spending an extra buck on a build.

Back