Powering pedals with coin cells

MBFX

See title. I want to stick an Electra into my beater Mustang, to make it a better jam session guitar. It's a little too small and thin to route a battery compartment, so I am thinking of using coin cells. Any reason a low power use circuit like an Electra wouldn't work with 3 stacked coin cells? I know they don't put out much current.

You can make it work.

Having a "senior" moment and can't remember the name, but there was a guy making nano-pedals about the size of 1/3 to 1/2 a 1590A (making the enclosures himself, too I think) and they ran on a watch battery. This is before SMD, so it was quite a feat to produce such a small pedal.

AHHHH FINALLY FOUND IT AGAIN...
TONE BUTCHER's POCKETPUSS!

1703497317584.jpeg
images

There's Japanese brand Albit, which also did a few micro-nano type pedals.
Three in upper left corner:
albit_a1psg_4.jpg

Hard to search for them because of EHX Microsynth, NanoPog etc etc.

images

Check out MAS Effects' SMD BazzFuss. You could maybe tweak that into an Electra.

Good luck !

Already have the board, actually! 3x10 vero build I found online. I ordered some coin cells on Amazon, and I'm working on some sort of 3 coin cell holder because those apparently do not exist. Need to find a way to make it easy to access, too - either that or have a way to check battery life with a DMM before taking it out.

RE COIN HOLDER What about cutting up a plastic coin holder (like they use at the bank), or if you've got a mother who's on every type of medication known to geriatrics then maybe a pill-bottle you can cut-up, glue together, poke holes into... Or an old film canister.

COIN HOLDERS (plastic) for batteries, too.png
6971123ea11c2751547a644637d9ba77.jpg
film-canister-for-analog-camera.jpg

If you build another one of these onboard-electras, I quite like these little GBOF boards from GPCB. A buck-twenty on sale now.

1703537183445.png

They are TINY! Easily fit in most geetar cavities. Here's one I socketed so I can "breadboard" on it (and other socketed nonsense), chip socket for scale:

img_3051-jpg.1084159

The little boards have their limitations and it's honestly sometimes better/easier to just go perf or vero, but ... they're such FUN!

Last edited:
There’s some projects on thingiverse that look like they might work.

Some possibilities here, including some coin cell holders:

Also a couple LiPos in series would get close to 8v, and they're easy to charge with the USB chargers on that page. I always just use their JST connectors rather than trying to cut the wires, because, you know, kaboom.

Back