Proposition Distortion J201 Measurement

I looked inside my X-100 and the jfet he used in that part of the circuit was a 2n4339. Pretty close to the specs. It’s $12.00 at mouser
FYI -- found a seller on ebay with good ratings that has the 2n4339 for $2 each plus shipping. shipping on one is about $5 but was less than $7 to order 4 transistors ($14.88 total). Not a risk free proposition, but sharing the information in case anyone else is interested.

FWIW, I measured my Jfets with just a couple of multimeters and a dual bench power supply (that can go as low as 0.5V). A multimeter in series with the Jfet, set to micro amps, and the other measuring the negative gate voltage. I had a constant 1V across DS the whole time. Old skool.

Or, if you don't mind soldering a small surface mount part, you can simply buy the new TI JFE150 and skip all this hand sorting :)

I do find the compressor essential to the Rockman sound, whether clean or dirty. I find it's about the playing "feel" it creates, more than about the tone others can hear. It just makes me play better, with more purposeful dynamics, due to the way it responds.

Last edited:
Back