question about c12 on Six String Stinger pcb

hybridpi

So in the build docs it says c12 is supposed to be a 22n cap, but the pcb says 2n2 in that spot. I'm just wondering which value is correct. thanks!

so i built it with the 22n, because that's what the schem said, wired it up, and the pedal works, but there's very little volume on tap. to get unity volume i'm having to turn the a500k volume pot all the way up. I know it's a low gain pedal, so I wasn't expecting a ton of breakup, but that seems odd. can anyone else that built this tell me where unity gain is on their build?

10k + 2n2 = 7238 Hz
vs
10k + 22n = 723.8 Hz

Paired with the other side of the tone knob:
22k + 2n2 = 3290 Hz

Given the above data I'd be inclined to go with the 22n, but I would socket the capacitor in question and let my ear decide between the two.

According to the schematic I have, the GAIN pot is the A500k, while the VOLUME pot is a B100k. Did you by chance mistakenly swap the two pots?

No you’re right, I have the gain at a500k and the volume is b100k, I was just looking at the board upside down. I thought that may have been in but I rechecked the pot values and I have it right according to the schematic. Thanks for getting back to me.

C12 should be 22nF.

Here's how that went down... <deep breath>

A few years back another member traced that one and sent me the schematic. On that schematic C12 was marked as 22nF and that's what we went with.

A year or two later Aion released the Delta Amp project where that capacitor is marked 2.2nF. Several people contacted me asking if the Six String project was incorrect, so I contacted the person who originally traced the pedal... He said that he believed 22nF to be correct, but could have been mistaken. Since Aion's trace was more recent (and there was some doubt) the capacitor was changed to 2.2nF.

Cut to a few months ago, I personally traced both the Steel String and the Steel String Supreme. The value was in fact 22nF in both pedals, as originally marked, so the project was (finally) changed back to the correct original value.

C12 should be 22nF.

Here's how that went down... <deep breath>

A few years back another member traced that one and sent me the schematic. On that schematic C12 was marked as 22nF and that's what we went with.

A year or two later Aion released the Delta Amp project where that capacitor is marked 2.2nF. Several people contacted me asking if the Six String project was incorrect, so I contacted the person who originally traced the pedal... He said that he believed 22nF to be correct, but could have been mistaken. Since Aion's trace was more recent (and there was some doubt) the capacitor was changed to 2.2nF.

Cut to a few months ago, I personally traced both the Steel String and the Steel String Supreme. The value was in fact 22nF in both pedals, as originally marked, so the project was (finally) changed back to the correct original value.
Hello Robert, do you have traced the SS Supreme? Could you Post the schematic?
Thank you!

Hello you all, hello @PedalPCB, hello @Robert,

I have built the last version of Six String Stinger (with "correct" C11 and C12).

With all Pots at noon, by analising the Frequency Response of it versus SSS SRV (without Supreme side), I have got the following curve:

Brown = Six String Stinger
White = SSS

SteelString.PNG

I tried to use the Tone Stack Calculator to approximate it, and finally tried with Booster 2.5 values and got this curve:

Booster2.5.PNG

Now the 2kHz area is better, but some lows and highs more than SSS.

Here the Tone Stack curve, you can see the effect caused:
ToneStack.PNG

For me, the sound result by using Booster 2.5 Tone Stack is better then Six String Stinger, but I think that the SSS is completely another Schematic! The curve of SSS is more TS9 a-like...

Any comments?

Last edited:
This is the initial trace of the Steel String side of the Supreme, I haven't verified it but I believe it to be accurate.

I haven't traced the SRV version.

1700309353292.png

The "Supreme" side is a Ross Compressor, believe it or not.
1700311722265.png

The Vertex Nyle is the exact same PCB rehoused in a different enclosure.
"The NYLE compressor marries the classic studio rack compressors of the 70's & 80's with a vintage preamp" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back