Questions on veroboard build and illuminated 3PDT breakout (PedalPCB)

carlsoncoder

Hi all -

I'm going to start on my first veroboard project - an EQD Black Ash clone - https://dirtboxlayouts.blogspot.com/2020/03/earthquaker-devices-black-ash.html?m=1 Would have preferred a PCB from here but looks like this one doesn't exist yet!

I've done PedalPCB builds before but not veroboard. I understand the onboard wiring, but wanted to make sure I have the offboard wiring correct. I was hoping someone could take a look and let me know if I got this planned right? I am also using the Illuminated 3PDT breakout board from PedalPCB with this and an illuminated 3PDT (this one) as well.

blackashfuzzclone.png
  • Input Jack
    • Tip to Pin 1 on 3PDT breakout (Left of “IN”)
    • Sleeve to Ground (Row B or J on board)
  • Output Jack
    • Tip to Pin 6 on 3PDT breakout (Right of “OUT”)
    • Sleeve to Ground (Row B or J on board)
  • DC Power Jack
    • + to 9v (Row A on board)
    • - to Ground (Row B or J on board)
  • Input (C1 on board) to Pin 2 on 3PDT breakout (“IN”)
  • Output (Pin 2 of Level Pot) to Pin 5 on 3PDT breakout (“OUT”)
  • Pin 3 of 3PDT breakout (“OUT”) to Ground (Row B or J on board)
  • Pin 4 of 3PDT breakout (“SW”)
    • I think this is unused right? Looking at the PCB examples, it just looks like SW breaks the ground for the LED on the PCB. However, since I have my LED right inside the footswitch, that board should handle switching the LED on/off, and I wouldn't need the SW pin to be wired to anything? Or does this get wired to 9V on the board (Row A) so it can power the LED?
    • Also for using a CLR (website recommended 470 Ohm) - can I just solder that across the legs of the LED pins once it's soldered to the breakout board?
Thanks for the help!
-Justin

you need power going to the breakout board for the LED. the SW input should do that. check the "additional information" on the page for the illuminated breakout board for the wiring diagram.

Thanks for the reply! Besides the SW item, did the rest of my wiring notes look correct to you?

This was all I saw in the "Additional Information" for the illuminated 3PDT breakout...but if it's just 9V going to the SW input I think that answers my question there anyway.

1590093468602.png

sorry -- it is the image to the right of the image of the PCB, above where it says "additional information"

your wiring write-up looks mostly OK. The LED needs a resistor in the chain between the power wire and LED, not connecting to both of the leads. 4.7K is the value usually used in the PCB projects. you can reduce that value if you want the LED brighter, or raise it higher if you want the light dimmer. 470 ohm seems like it would be really bright.

1590093799637.png

Ok cool! I'll just put the resistor in between the 9V rail on the board and the SW input on the breakout board. Really appreciate all your help here!

Back