Reboxing (Spirit Box, Unicab, Phase II) with snazzy new UV printed enclosures

flemming

These are three pedals that I did early on in my building adventures. A friend wanted to buy them, so I opted to rebox them in order to get them UV printed and I wanted to switch out the hardware for the high quality ones that I'm currently using. Gut shots are in the original build reports.
PXL_20230604_230110443.jpg
Phase II (original build report): I always hated the way the first enclosure came out and I'm pretty happy with this one. It was based on a couple different components that I bought from vectorstock and reworked them to my liking. Buying a few credits from vectorstock has saved me a ton of time on some of my UV prints. Most designs can be bought for $1 which is well worth avoiding the trouble of fighting with sub-optimal vectorization. I've done a couple designs on Winked Silver and I really like it. This is the second enclosure that I've done involving a cat with a gun, so maybe I've found a niche :) I did switch the input to use shielded wire this time around rather than simply taking the long route around to avoided the dreaded ticking.
PXL_20230604_225211861.jpg
Spirit Box (original build report): I think I may actually like the original less busy design a bit better. This is my first time doing partial gloss, with only the black and white parts being coated. I'm not sure if that'll have an impact on the durability of the non-glossed parts, but we'll see. Even though this was a cream enclosure, up close the white parts aren't as opaque as I want them to be. I think 2 white layers is a must with Tayda if you have any white showing. The white on the prints I did with AmplifyFun was way better, but I got the impressions 2 white layers was standard with them.

PXL_20230604_225103767.jpg

Unicab (original build report): The original pedal was done in everyone's favorite scratch magnet, ball silver. I opted to try the new raw matte enclosure for this one. I like the more worn look of the original so if I had to do it again I'd mute the colors a bit and switch to matte gloss.

Very nice on all three of them. And +1 on using AmplifyFun for enclosure finishing. Spencer does a great job.

Very nice on all three of them. And +1 on using AmplifyFun for enclosure finishing. Spencer does a great job.
I've done both. In general Spencer does a better job and is FAR easier to work with. Being able to get face plates from them as well is a big win. Tayda is a lot cheaper if you need drilling done. If you have to ship your enclosures to Spencer, paying for shipping twice sucks. So I go with whatever makes sense for me at the time.

I like the new enclosures, but I especially love this one!
That was my Fuzz War (Bellum I) build. I love the design way more than I love the pedal. I feel like mine never really sounded like the ones other people built. I spent a bunch of time messing with the transistors trying different combinations and was never happy with it. I'd totally get that one UV printed now if I actually liked it. Maybe I should stick with the cat+guns motif as both of those are my favorites at this point.

That was my Fuzz War (Bellum I) build. I love the design way more than I love the pedal.
Bummer! You should build something else with that layout and gut-swap it. That one deserves some pedalboard time.

I’ve got a Bellum I waiting to get boxed. I don’t even remember what it’s supposed to sound like, I think I got sucked in by the cool stencil-graphics on the original.

I've done both. In general Spencer does a better job and is FAR easier to work with. Being able to get face plates from them as well is a big win. Tayda is a lot cheaper if you need drilling done. If you have to ship your enclosures to Spencer, paying for shipping twice sucks. So I go with whatever makes sense for me at the time.
When I need a special and/or non-stocked enclosure I want done at AmplifyFun, I usually order them from a reputable vendor and have therm drop-shipped directly to Spencer. Saves on one of the extra shipping fees.

When I need a special and/or non-stocked enclosure I want done at AmplifyFun, I usually order them from a reputable vendor and have therm drop-shipped directly to Spencer. Saves on one of the extra shipping fees.
Same here. If the enclosure happens to ship from LMS it’s usually there the next day, even with the cheapest shipping option.

Back