Recommendations for a new cordless drill

Two Ryobi cordless impacts for house stuff.

Milwaukee corded for the heavy duty.

I don’t drill enclosures often though except to enlarge predrilled holes so take that into account.

The Ryobi units are beastly for their size.

Thanks for everyone's input. it was useful because the "hardware" guy at Home depot who "used to run a machine shop" was pretty clueless...

I got a Ryobi... I'll cross my fingers on the battery life...

It is already infinitely superior to the Black and Decker I am replacing.

And you can't miss that color when you're scanning the bench to find it.

Thanks for everyone's input. it was useful because the "hardware" guy at Home depot who "used to run a machine shop" was pretty clueless...

I got a Ryobi... I'll cross my fingers on the battery life...

It is already infinitely superior to the Black and Decker I am replacing.

And you can't miss that color when you're scanning the bench to find it.
I have Ryobi stuff I bought 15 years ago, the 2ah batteries died within 2 years, after that I bought the 4ah batteries and they're still going strong. I have their drill (It's nice to have one to drill with and one to sink the screws) but it's pre-brushless motor, the 1 gallon shop vac, and believe it or not - the caulk gun.

I'd rather save my fingers for guitar what with the arthritis and all. 14 years ago when I built my "BBQ Palace" I was looking at caulking all the joists before painting. It was a good investment, took about 15 tubes of caulk.

One word of advice, don't set those batteries down in the sun, it doesn't take long at all for them to heat up above their max temp. That's what killed my 2ah batteries. I actually had them setting in front of the window that got sun all day, DOOOOOOH!

Last edited:
If you have an extra Ryobi battery, and access to a 3d printer, this is a great, very inexpensive dc power supply. I may need to look for the file; I got it off of one of the share your files sites. Think my total cost was under $20, and it’s reasonably accurate, too.
9216A4B3-DEC3-442B-800F-00171D6B56FC.jpeg

If you have an extra Ryobi battery, and access to a 3d printer, this is a great, very inexpensive dc power supply. I may need to look for the file; I got it off of one of the share your files sites. Think my total cost was under $20, and it’s reasonably accurate, too.
View attachment 42559
I've opened up one that died, they're just 18650 batteries. You can buy the 4x battery sleds at Tayda, and the MP1584EN chips on eBay for cheap, about 50 cents to a buck each. For a couple bucks and some wire you can easily roll your own, and have spare batteries for your flashlights :)

I'm using the prototype of this drawing below to run my pedals. I used 4 battery sleds, talk about overkill. I've only had to recharge twice in the last year, lol...
1677016648225.png

Last edited:
I've opened up one that died, they're just 18650 batteries. You can buy the 4x battery sleds at Tayda, and the MP1584EN chips on eBay for cheap, about 50 cents to a buck each. For a couple bucks and some wire you can easily roll your own, and have spare batteries for your flashlights :)

I'm using the prototype of this drawing below to run my pedals. I used 4 battery sleds, talk about overkill. I've only had to recharge twice in the last year, lol...
View attachment 42567

I love that - I've seen some commercial stuff but am surprised there's not more out there.

Back