Resistor value importance

megatrav

I apologize if this topic has been covered before.

I am about to build a Klone and am looking at the parts to order from Tayda. They are out of a lot of the 1/8 watt resistors I am looking for. They have them in 1/4 watt. I know those would have to be installed sideways. That isn't an issue, but how much different would it make if I ordered nearest values?

For example, using 12.4k instead of 12k, 62k instead of 68k, 30k instead of 27k, etc.

Is it better to use the larger resistors with the correct value or will changing the values have a large impact on everything?

It looks like they’re all still in stock, just says there’s more arriving for some reason.

You won’t run in to much trouble subbing within a 5-10% or so tolerance but it really depends where it is in the circuit.

Nostradoomus is spot on. If you look at most of the actual pedal circuits they use carbon film resistors, where we use metal film mostly. Carbon resistors are with in 5 to 10%, metal film are 1%. So if you stay with in 5% you should be ok! If you have to go this route, you can cherry pick the components you use. So if it calls for a 12K and you only have 10K’s measure a bunch of them with DMV and use the ones with the highest readings.

So if I'm building a fuzz that calls for a 2k resistor - using a 2.2k isn't out of the realm of possibilities but could cause issues depending on where it is in the circuit?

So if I'm building a fuzz that calls for a 2k resistor - using a 2.2k isn't out of the realm of possibilities but could cause issues depending on where it is in the circuit?
I think you'd be pretty safe with that almost no matter where in circuit

I would also like to point out that I am a bit of a dummy. I realized that I typically use 1/4 watt not 1/8 watt resistors.
I still think this information is important to know, especially when tolerances are taken into account. So, thanks for the information <3

Back