Ceramic Film resistor

hamerfan

I made only pedals from kits so far. For my first pcb only project i am sourcing parts now. All i have so far are bulk Ceramic Film Resistors (10 of every value) i bought 20 years ago. Can i use them for my project or should i look for less noisy Metall Film resistors.

Last edited:
They should be fine to replace film capacitors. Not sure if they would replace electrolytic capacitors though. Not in every case

I remember anyone posted that Ceramic Film resistors cause more hiss than Metal Film. That was my concern.

Last edited:
You can use them, but resistors are dirt cheap. Probably worth buying new metal film ones. I don’t get too wound up about noise from resistors, but I do prefer metal film for the tighter tolerances.

if you use the ones you have on hand, I would suggest testing before soldering them in to make sure they are in spec. The leads may need a quick rub with some abrasive to shine them up for soldering as well.

I’m wondering if @hamerfan meant carbon film, not ceramic film. Definitely agree about testing before use; 5% tolerance was very common for carbon resistors, and one of their disadvantages is they’re prone to drifting.

I know the carbon comps are a blast from the past and measure all over the place. But i found out that the ceramic film resistor are also made in thighter tolerance like 1%. But my bulk package are probably 5%. I think i gonna order a set of 1% metal film resistors.

Back