Rocket Sockets

Thanks for the replies! Didn't realize they're made in a different way now, that's good to know.

@vigilante398 man, I'd love to just 3D print some... don't have that kinda setup though. They're not terribly expensive, but it's just another thing on top of an existing Love My Switches order!

The one thing that can be tricky with ANY of these tools is tightening the large hex nut on a switched, "innie" DC jack if there's already a bunch of hardware in the box. I guess it's just a matter of securing it earlier than I usually do! Typically have to use a thin wrench to tighten it.

Thanks for the replies! Didn't realize they're made in a different way now, that's good to know.

@vigilante398 man, I'd love to just 3D print some... don't have that kinda setup though. They're not terribly expensive, but it's just another thing on top of an existing Love My Switches order!

The one thing that can be tricky with ANY of these tools is tightening the large hex nut on a switched, "innie" DC jack if there's already a bunch of hardware in the box. I guess it's just a matter of securing it earlier than I usually do! Typically have to use a thin wrench to tighten it.
I use a “midget wrench” (also sometimes called “ignition wrench”) which is small enough to not have issues with other jacks when tightening the power socket (holding the external portion with no mar pliers).

I’ve often wondered if I could sand back the tip of rocket sockets when they wear. I know it wouldn’t be something I could do indefinitely, but if I could do it once or twice it would be cool

I use a “midget wrench” (also sometimes called “ignition wrench”) which is small enough to not have issues with other jacks when tightening the power socket (holding the external portion with no mar pliers).

I’ve often wondered if I could sand back the tip of rocket sockets when they wear. I know it wouldn’t be something I could do indefinitely, but if I could do it once or twice it would be cool
You absolutely can, that's why I go through a set every month or so instead of every week or so. They're long enough that you can sand or cut the stripped section and have a usable socket again.

I think that's pretty much what I have, but I'll check into ignition wrenches for sure.

Great idea about sanding rocket sockets down! I'm not building at production levels, so I doubt it'd even be necessary for a while...

I think that's pretty much what I have, but I'll check into ignition wrenches for sure.

Great idea about sanding rocket sockets down! I'm not building at production levels, so I doubt it'd even be necessary for a while...
Mine are Crapsman that I got in a set many moons ago, but these Amazon specials are about the same thing:

I use these. They work great. I have printed them with an SLA printer. It is strong enough to tighten all nuts related to pedals. The only thing I did was to hollow the handles in a slicer.

Back