Scenario Preamp (Cornerstone Gladio SC)

Drayve85

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I’ve had this board for a while now, but haven’t built it until yesterday. I had to finish a phase 90 build that I built for a friend of mine that had some ‘gremlins’ in it. Finally figured that pedal out, after almost an entire week of troubleshooting!!🤣🤣

Then, yesterday, I was FINALLY, able to dig into this build. I’ve been on a lil obsession with Dumble-esque pedals lately. I started building a Dumbloid, haven’t finished it yet.lol It only took me something like 10 or so hours to fully build this pedal. Even with cleaning every lead of every component, cleaning the flux after soldering in 5 or 10 components. And, getting the wiring to the neatest I think I’ve ever done! Suffice it to say, I’m pretty proud of myself for this build. The only ‘issue’ I have with this build is the LED. Instead of soldering it right to the board itself, like usual, I soldered two wires to it, with shrink wrap on the solder joints. With the LED holder I’m using, it’s was to push the holder out some, so the LED’s wires are too long which pushes on the holder, and it sticks out some. I have to go in and shorten the wires, or just be a normal person and solder the LED right to the board!!hahah One of the attached pics shows the LED holder sticking up a lil bit. On another note, I think I’ve reached a higher plateau in my pedal building abilities with this and the last few pedals I’ve built. There are many people on here that are light years ahead of me in pedal building, but that’s why I’m here, is to learn from everyone here! Apologies if I come off as braggadocious, I don’t mean it that way AT ALL! I’m just really proud of myself for this, and for sticking with the pedal for my friend and figuring out what was wrong with it. I was never the kind of person to be proud of myself for something, I seen it as boasting or something, and if something got to be too difficult, I would usually bail on it. But, for the past 5 or so years I’ve been trying to work on myself and self-confidence is a big issue for me. Enough rant!!!lol

Now, for the sound of this pedal! I LOVE it!! It it’s pretty ‘transparent’, as cliche as it sounds!lol the CLEAN knob is great IMO. It adds to the dynamics and touch-sensitivity. I’m torn on whether or not it has too much bass, even with the bass trimpot turned all the way up, which I think is the least amount of bass. I tried the trimpot all the way CCW and it got muddy-ish and more clipping, so I’m thinking there more bass that way, kinda like a Tim pedal. I’ve battled too much bass all my guitar playing life. For some reason or another, every amp I’ve had was always bass heavy, so I’ve always had to try to dial it out. Most of my pedals I’ve built twangy, trebles MoFos’s, if I can help it!lol so a bass my pedal or two won’t hurt to have. I haven’t been able to play with it too much yet. Maybe a couple hours so far, but I don’t see my opinion of it changing!lol I dig this pedal quite a bit! Thank you for checking out my build!! And, if you’re in the fence about this circuit, TRY IT OUT!! It’s definitely staying on my board; and may perhaps edge out the Zendrive off the board. We shall see!!! IMG_7416.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7417.jpeg
    IMG_7417.jpeg
    781.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7418.jpeg
    IMG_7418.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7419.jpeg
    IMG_7419.jpeg
    863.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_7420.jpeg
    IMG_7420.jpeg
    862.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7421.jpeg
    IMG_7421.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 71
This is my favorite Dumble style pedal. It compared very favorably to my actual Dumble style amp.
I've built just about every variation of the D style pedals that I've been able to get a hold of, and this one is the most realistic of the bunch.
Nice work!

Looks great!
Thank you, very much!

This is my favorite Dumble style pedal. It compared very favorably to my actual Dumble style amp.
I've built just about every variation of the D style pedals that I've been able to get a hold of, and this one is the most realistic of the bunch.
Nice work!
Thank you! That’s good to know! I’ve been trying to find the ‘right’ Dumble pedal for me, without having a D-style amp, or even playing one, or a real Dumble, for that matter. I have an idea of what I believe the ‘Dumble sound’ is, or what I think it is. This one so far is right on the mark. What do you think of the Dumbloid? And the Wampler Ecstasy/Euphoria? I’m interested in those two. They’re the next Dumble style pedals imma build, I think.

Cool Build!
This is more of in the vein of the Steel String Singer than the Overdrive Special that every pedal builder seems to clone.
It is the lower Drive I prefer to playwithout messing with the original sound of the Amp I'm playing through.

Thank you, very much!

Thank you! That’s good to know! I’ve been trying to find the ‘right’ Dumble pedal for me, without having a D-style amp, or even playing one, or a real Dumble, for that matter. I have an idea of what I believe the ‘Dumble sound’ is, or what I think it is. This one so far is right on the mark. What do you think of the Dumbloid? And the Wampler Ecstasy/Euphoria? I’m interested in those two. They’re the next Dumble style pedals imma build, I think.
Well, the Dumbloid has pro's and cons (to me).
Pro's - It sounds more like and amp than a pedal. Has an open sound as opposed to "boxy" like a Zen drive.
It's possible to get some good sounds from it but it takes a lot of tweaking.

Cons: It doesn't sound very good unless you spend some time dialing it. It's not like the Scenario or Zen that pretty much sounds flattering no matter the settings.
It's possible to get some good sounds out of it but it take a lot of tweaking:)

It can sound pretty fizzy.

There's a lot of people that don't like the pedal. This isn't a con just an FYI.

Sorry if I've dampened your enthusiasm for this pedal but I think you SHOULD definitely build it, you might really love it!

Here's my build and demo.

Well, the Dumbloid has pro's and cons (to me).
Pro's - It sounds more like and amp than a pedal. Has an open sound as opposed to "boxy" like a Zen drive.
It's possible to get some good sounds from it but it takes a lot of tweaking.

Cons: It doesn't sound very good unless you spend some time dialing it. It's not like the Scenario or Zen that pretty much sounds flattering no matter the settings.
It's possible to get some good sounds out of it but it take a lot of tweaking:)

It can sound pretty fizzy.

There's a lot of people that don't like the pedal. This isn't a con just an FYI.

Sorry if I've dampened your enthusiasm for this pedal but I think you SHOULD definitely build it, you might really love it!

Here's my build and demo.
No way, that’s exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. I have the vero board already cut, and some components soldered in already, so I was gonna build it regardless. Just so I can hear it for myself.

I built the “Umble” circuit a while ago, and I wasn’t too impressed with that pedal at the time.

Cool Build!
This is more of in the vein of the Steel String Singer than the Overdrive Special that every pedal builder seems to clone.
It is the lower Drive I prefer to playwithout messing with the original sound of the Amp I'm playing through.
Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard/read. And, the right side of the original Gladio pedal is like an Overdrive Special. Hopefully the right side circuit will get traced sometime soon, it would be cool to have both. I like the lower drive too. I can always stack a couple drive pedals to get a dirtier sound, if I need it. But, I LOVE the edge of breakup sound, where you have a lot of touch-dynamics! That’s so cool to me.lol

Scenario Preamp
IC
TL072 x3 Ic1 Ic4 Ic3
JRC4558 Ic2

D
1N5817 D100
1N4148 x6 D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6

switch
SPDT On-On

P
B500k GAIN
B10k VOLUME
B5k TONE
B25k CLEAN
50k Trimmer BASS

C
47u 25v C102
100u 25v C101

C
27p C5
100p x2 C9 C7
33n C3
47n x2 C1 C4
1u film x5 C10 C12 C6 C11 C2
68n C8
100n C100

R

1m x3 R1 R2 R4
3k3 x4 R10 R11 R5 R3
82r R100
10k x6 R101 R102 R112 R113 R6 R7
2k2 R9
4k7 R CLR
1k5 R8

Hello, it's my first time here.I have a question whether I deciphered it correctly.

Back