DEMO Scenario Preamp (Gladio SC)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I've actually had this one done for a couple of days.

When I went to go do a demo for it, I went down a pickup swapping rabbit hole.

I wanted to use my Eastman Semihollow for part of the demo and realized I hadn't played it in quite a while. Which got me thinking about why that is, I mean I absolutely love that guitar. It occurred to me that somehow the tone just didn't inspire me for some reason.

When I bought the guitar it came stock with some Bare Knuckle Old Guard PAF's. They were good sounding pickups but part of their budget line.
I decided to install a set of Lollar Imperial Low Wind hum buckers in them, which is what both Eastman used to use on this model as well as Collings, which is what the Eastman is based on. (Carved solid mahogany back and carved solid maple top). So it's really more like an arch top than a 335.

Collings has now moved onto using ThroBak's on theirs (I think) and Eastman went with Bareknuckle. Anyway, the Lollars are a bit too bright for this guitar but it took me a while to admit that after spending $400 on the pickups and suffering immeasurable trauma of changing the wiring harness and installing pickups in a semi...... :ROFLMAO:

So on a whim I decided last night to swap out the Lollars and put the set of Wolfetone Legends that I had in my PRS into it. WOW, the guitar just came to life in a big way! The Legends are just fabulous vintage PAFs. probably the best I've ever played.

I want to thank @Big Monk and @cdwillis again for turning me onto Wolfetone. I think I'm on my 6th set of pickups from him! I wound up ordering another set of Legends and plan to do some more pickup swapping. The new set of Legends will probably be going into my Les Paul Gold Top, As much as I love the Durbano 59's that I have in that guitar, I can't help wondering if the Wolfetones won't sound better....:p. (Always chasing the toanz......hahaha)

Ok, so back to the pedal, this one half of the Cornerstone Gladio (the cleaner side). And I have to say, it might be my favorite Dumble style pedal I've built yet.
Most Dumble pedals seem to focus on the high gain side of things where the Gladio SC does a great job emulating the lower gain and semi-clean sounds.

I'd be really interested if @Robert did a project on the full monty Gladio with both sides. Would be a really cool project!

For the build I decided to use relay switching. There's a toggle for compression that brings in an additional set of 4148 diodes for a more compressed sound.
I have not seen the schematic yet so not completely sure what's going but the pedal has 6 1n4148's for the clipping.

Lots of great sounds on both sides of the toggle. It's also got a Blend knob that mixes in some clean signal. But from what I understand it doesn't work like a typical blend but rather taps the pre-gain clean signal and passes it through in parallel with the overdriven signal. I found it most useful at the lower settings, just adding a touch of clean to the signal especially on the more transparent tones.

Some pretty cool features for sure! I decided to use the top hat knobs as a tip o da hat to the original, although its in a blue enclosure.
There's also an internal trimmer to add or cut bass. I left it at noon and it seems to be fine right there. Don't think I'll be changing it.

IMG_4588.JPG

IMG_4587.JPG

For the demo, I did some comparisons with the ROG Umble that I recently finished. Very different pedals both in terms of how they sound, the gain structure as well as topology. I'm less enamored with the ROG Umble than I thought I'd be but @ICTRock gave me some ideas to try in that build.

Since the two names that get mentioned the most when it comes to Dumble style tones is Robben Ford and Larry Carlton, I decided for the demo to try to emulate their sounds. According to Gladio, the SC was designed to nail the Robben Ford "Cannonball Shuffle" tone. Which is a fairly low gain, transparent sound in the studio recording. He also used his 60's Tele on that recording. There are many live video's of him playing Cannonball with other guitars with lots of different tones.

Anyway, I tried to get close on my Tele to that sound in the little clip of Cannonball.

Larry Carlton typically uses a much more compressed sound. And even though he did not use a Dumble on Kid Charlemagne, I decided to do a short clip of that for the Larry Carlton sounds.

All in all, really dig the pedal and highly recommended build for those of you that are looking for a Dumble-esque tone that's a bit more nuanced and subtle than a Zen Drive.

I wanted to use my Eastman Semihollow for part of the demo and realized I hadn't played it in quite a while. Which got me thinking about why that is, I mean I absolutely love that guitar. It occurred to me that somehow the tone just didn't inspire me for some reason.

When I bought the guitar it came stock with some Bare Knuckle Old Guard PAF's. They were good sounding pickups but part of their budget line.
I decided to install a set of Lollar Imperial Low Wind hum buckers in them, which is what both Eastman used to use on this model as well as Collings, which is what the Eastman is based on. (Carved solid mahogany back and carved solid maple top). So it's really more like an arch top than a 335.

Collings has now moved onto using ThroBak's on theirs (I think) and Eastman went with Bareknuckle. Anyway, the Lollars are a bit too bright for this guitar but it took me a while to admit that after spending $400 on the pickups and suffering immeasurable trauma of changing the wiring harness and installing pickups in a semi...... :ROFLMAO:

So on a whim I decided last night to swap out the Lollars and put the set of Wolfetone Legends that I had in my PRS into it. WOW, the guitar just came to life in a big way! The Legends are just fabulous vintage PAFs. probably the best I've ever played.

I want to thank @Big Monk and @cdwillis again for turning me onto Wolfetone. I think I'm on my 6th set of pickups from him! I wound up ordering another set of Legends and plan to do some more pickup swapping. The new set of Legends will probably be going into my Les Paul Gold Top, As much as I love the Durbano 59's that I have in that guitar, I can't help wondering if the Wolfetones won't sound better....:p. (Always chasing the toanz......hahaha)

Ok, so back to the pedal, this one half of the Cornerstone Gladio (the cleaner side). And I have to say, it might be my favorite Dumble style pedal I've built yet.
Most Dumble pedals seem to focus on the high gain side of things where the Gladio SC does a great job emulating the lower gain and semi-clean sounds.

I'd be really interested if @Robert did a project on the full monty Gladio with both sides. Would be a really cool project!

For the build I decided to use relay switching. There's a toggle for compression that brings in an additional set of 4148 diodes for a more compressed sound.
I have not seen the schematic yet so not completely sure what's going but the pedal has 6 1n4148's for the clipping.

Lots of great sounds on both sides of the toggle. It's also got a Blend knob that mixes in some clean signal. But from what I understand it doesn't work like a typical blend but rather taps the pre-gain clean signal and passes it through in parallel with the overdriven signal. I found it most useful at the lower settings, just adding a touch of clean to the signal especially on the more transparent tones.

Some pretty cool features for sure! I decided to use the top hat knobs as a tip o da hat to the original, although its in a blue enclosure.
There's also an internal trimmer to add or cut bass. I left it at noon and it seems to be fine right there. Don't think I'll be changing it.

View attachment 46140

View attachment 46141

All in all, really dig the pedal and highly recommended build for those of you that are looking for a Dumble-esque tone that's a bit more nuanced and subtle than a Zen Drive.

Nice, already have the Enclosure buit for this & a simple mod to get the best out of it!
Waiting for 2 more PCB's to be released so 4 in total in the queue @ PPCB!
This leans more to the Steel Stringer than Overdrive Special.

View attachment 46140

View attachment 46141

For the demo, I did some comparisons with the ROG Umble that I recently finished. Very different pedals both in terms of how they sound, the gain structure as well as topology. I'm less enamored with the ROG Umble than I thought I'd be but @ICTRock gave me some ideas to try in that build.

Since the two names that get mentioned the most when it comes to Dumble style tones is Robben Ford and Larry Carlton, I decided for the demo to try to emulate their sounds. According to Gladio, the SC was designed to nail the Robben Ford "Cannonball Shuffle" tone. Which is a fairly low gain, transparent sound in the studio recording. He also used his 60's Tele on that recording. There are many live video's of him playing Cannonball with other guitars with lots of different tones.

Anyway, I tried to get close on my Tele to that sound in the little clip of Cannonball.

Larry Carlton typically uses a much more compressed sound. And even though he did not use a Dumble on Kid Charlemagne, I decided to do a short clip of that for the Larry Carlton sounds.

Great build! Just bought the PCB. The build sheet is pending…what is the value of the trimmer and big electrolytic caps? Are there any other less commonly stocked parts?

Thanks!

Great build! Just bought the PCB. The build sheet is pending…what is the value of the trimmer and big electrolytic caps? Are there any other less commonly stocked parts?

Thanks!
Here you go.

Scenario Preamp

TL072 x3
JRC4558

1N5817
1N4148 x6

SPDT On-On

B500k
B10k
B5k
B25k
50k Trimmer

47u
100u

27p
100p x2
33n
47n x2
1u film x5
68n
100n

1m x3
3k3 x4
82r
10k x6
2k2
4k7
1k5

Scenario Preamp
IC
TL072 x3 Ic1 Ic4 Ic3
JRC4558 Ic2

D
1N5817 D100
1N4148 x6 D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6

switch
SPDT On-On

P
B500k GAIN
B10k VOLUME
B5k TONE
B25k CLEAN
50k Trimmer BASS

C
47u 25v C102
100u 25v C101

C
27p C5
100p x2 C9 C7
33n C3
47n x2 C1 C4
1u film x5 C10 C12 C6 C11 C2
68n C8
100n C100

R

1m x3 R1 R2 R4
3k3 x4 R10 R11 R5 R3
82r R100
10k x6 R101 R102 R112 R113 R6 R7
2k2 R9
4k7 R CLR
1k5 R8

Hello, it's my first time here.I have a question whether I deciphered it correctly.

Scenario Preamp
IC
TL072 x3 Ic1 Ic4 Ic3
JRC4558 Ic2

D
1N5817 D100
1N4148 x6 D1 D2 D3 D4 D5 D6

switch
SPDT On-On

P
B500k GAIN
B10k VOLUME
B5k TONE
B25k CLEAN
50k Trimmer BASS

C
47u 25v C102
100u 25v C101

C
27p C5
100p x2 C9 C7
33n C3
47n x2 C1 C4
1u film x5 C10 C12 C6 C11 C2
68n C8
100n C100

R

1m x3 R1 R2 R4
3k3 x4 R10 R11 R5 R3
82r R100
10k x6 R101 R102 R112 R113 R6 R7
2k2 R9
4k7 R CLR
1k5 R8

Hello, it's my first time here.I have a question whether I deciphered it correctly.
Hey @art7744, welcome to the zoo hahaha. It looks right, but the values will be printed on the PCB instead of "R7 forinstance.

Back