Schu-Tone Atomic Punk (1590DD Van Halen Box)

dan.schumaker

Here is another 1590DD box that I've been working on for a while. This is the Atomic Punk, based on EVH's Van Halen 1 era pedal setup. The signal chain is a MXR Flanger into a Phase 90, then into an Echo-plex style delay with preamp, then a 6-band EQ and finally a Marshall Amp. I'm really happy with how this came together. The MXR Flanger is one of my favorite flanger circuits and it works great in this circuit. The EQ took some thinking on how to implement it. I had to do some looking for slide pots that would fit in the space I had. All the usual suspects were just too wide to be able to fit. I was able to find these on Amazon to try in this circuit. After a little trial and error on the board sizing, as well as scaling the caps and resistors to work with the 100k pots, I was able to get something that works pretty good. This was also my first try using Tayda's drill service. It was a little daunting at first, but once I got into it, it was pretty easy to use. All together, it sounds really good. I'm not even in the same area code as EVH in playing, but I can get some nice sounds playing Running with the Devil and Ain't Talking About Love style riffs through this box.
Atomic-Punk_1.jpg

Atomic-Punk_2.jpg

Here is another 1590DD box that I've been working on for a while. This is the Atomic Punk, based on EVH's Van Halen 1 era pedal setup. The signal chain is a MXR Flanger into a Phase 90, then into an Echo-plex style delay with preamp, then a 6-band EQ and finally a Marshall Amp. I'm really happy with how this came together. The MXR Flanger is one of my favorite flanger circuits and it works great in this circuit. The EQ took some thinking on how to implement it. I had to do some looking for slide pots that would fit in the space I had. All the usual suspects were just too wide to be able to fit. I was able to find these on Amazon to try in this circuit. After a little trial and error on the board sizing, as well as scaling the caps and resistors to work with the 100k pots, I was able to get something that works pretty good. This was also my first try using Tayda's drill service. It was a little daunting at first, but once I got into it, it was pretty easy to use. All together, it sounds really good. I'm not even in the same area code as EVH in playing, but I can get some nice sounds playing Running with the Devil and Ain't Talking About Love style riffs through this box.
Atomic-Punk_1.jpg

Atomic-Punk_2.jpg
You are out of control in the best possible way. This is awesome!

Back