SOLVED Softii - first build... no sound šŸ™ƒ

Petethefuzz

Hi guys. Total n00b here. Just finished my first build. Maybe I took on to much, but I fell in love with the SFT so I wanted a clone. With help online/facebook I have tested that the switch works (multimeter buzz test). LED works. Iā€™m very new
to electronics/circuits and even the multimeter. I have seen this kit in the forum - has anyone had the same issue? Doesnā€™t work out of the enclosure either, so it doesnā€™t appear to be pots making a short or something like that. I had to wire one of the transistors cause the socket
Was broken. I bought it as a kid from musikding.de

If you would be so kind to give me instructions on what and how to test, maybe with the multimeter, Iā€™d really appreciate it. Please feel free to address me as a total beginner. If you feel like you are writing to a toddler your probably doing great šŸ˜€ B285A3C2-B7FD-41FC-B13B-7C5CC3FB5D32.jpeg 874E7980-35C9-4A59-8AF9-A8AA4267D1B9.jpeg 8A45A905-060C-43B9-983E-0364CD9C9CFB.jpeg 7D9C8013-13A2-4FB8-BF78-26B10A32F2B9.jpeg 7EDB496C-114E-4C1F-8ED2-95948F2E2C78.jpeg

Did new reading. This time powering the pedal by battery.
Q1 1,28
Q2 9,3
Q3 0,81
Q4 5,95
Q5 0,84 (Stable)
Q6 5,43

Does this point towards a problem with Q2 or maybe components around it?
Yes.

Either there is a short between Q2 source and drain, or the connection between Q1 & Q2 is broken.
With power on, measure the voltage on Q1-D.
With power off, measure the resistance between Q2-S and Q1-D (should be 10K).

Report your findings.

Look carefully under the GAIN pot. It's hard to tell from the photo, but there might be a short there:
possible Softii short.jpg

Yes.

Either there is a short between Q2 source and drain, or the connection between Q1 & Q2 is broken.
With power on, measure the voltage on Q1-D.
With power off, measure the resistance between Q2-S and Q1-D (should be 10K).

Report your findings.

Look carefully under the GAIN pot. It's hard to tell from the photo, but there might be a short there:
View attachment 10129

ok - here are my findings:

ā€œWith power on, measure the voltage on Q1-D. ā€œ

= 8V

ā€œWith power off, measure the resistance between Q2-S and Q1-D (should be 10K).ā€

= 5,54 ohms

- I also checked for a short under the pots but didnā€™t find any šŸ¤Ø

That 10K resistor is shorted out. More visual inspection. is required.

One more thing, measure the voltage on Q2-G (with power on). The results will depend on you DMM's input resistance.

Last edited:
That 10K resistor is shorted out. More visual inspection. is required.

One more thing, measure the voltage on Q2-G (with power on). The results will depend on you DMM's input resistance.
Do you mean R7? Iā€™ll check it out. Think its time I see if I can desolder the pots though it seems tricky. Q2 gate shows no voltage at all. Power is on.

We're getting closer to the problem.

First, with power off, measure the resistance from Q2-G to ground.

Next, with power on, measure the voltage on each side of R5 w.r.t. ground. One side should be +9V and the other side should be between +3V and +4.3V, depending on the input resistance of your DMM. Which DMM are you using?

That's a good meter. Input impedance is 10Mā„¦.

Your R5 measurement tells me that the R5/R6 voltage divider is working. When you say you can't get a resistance reading on Q2-G, I think you mean the reading is >10Mā„¦. Just to be clear, you measured this with Q2 still installed on the board, correct?
All of this points to a broken pad at Q2-G or a broken trace between R5 and Q2-G. More visual inspection is needed. Look right around here:
Catalinbread SFT MK 2 [SOFTii v2] pcb arrow.jpg

If the trace or pad are damaged, it's easily repaired.

You're in the UK, right? That explains why it takes each one of us the better part of a day to respond.

That's a good meter. Input impedance is 10MĪ©.

Your R5 measurement tells me that the R5/R6 voltage divider is working. When you say you can't get a resistance reading on Q2-G, I think you mean the reading is >10MĪ©. Just to be clear, you measured this with Q2 still installed on the board, correct?
All of this points to a broken pad at Q2-G or a broken trace between R5 and Q2-G. More visual inspection is needed. Look right around here:
View attachment 10267

If the trace or pad are damaged, it's easily repaired.

You're in the UK, right? That explains why it takes each one of us the better part of a day to respond.
Hi Chuck! Iā€™m from Denmark, so assuming your from the other side of the great pond, Iā€™m even +1 hour from London time so itā€™s even worse šŸ˜‚

Regarding reading resistance from q2g I think your right... so I couldnā€™t measure it because the value was to low? Iā€™m (obviously) no expert so I tried all relevant setting with no luck in the DMM.

The marking on the picture looks a bit rough. Havenā€™t had time to clean it but Iā€™ll get to it. How would you go about repairing it if say the trace is broken?

- again I canā€™t thank you enough for all the help! Iā€™m learning so much and it helps against the disappointment of the damn thing not working šŸ˜‰šŸ‘

You could not measure the resistance with your DMM if there was no connection between those two points, or if they were connected but the resistance between them was greater than 10Meg.

You can repair a broken trace by using a small wire to connect the points that are supposed to be connected by the broken trace.

Before you attempt repair, let's confirm that the trace is in fact broken. You might need some magnification to see the break.

I'm in Los Angeles so you're 9hrs ahead of me. I guessed the UK because that's where your meter is sold. At least that's where eBay vendors are located.

Before you attempt repair, let's confirm that the trace is in fact broken. You might need some magnification to see the break.

I'm in Los Angeles so you're 9hrs ahead of me. I guessed the UK because that's where your meter is sold. At least that's where eBay vendors are located.
There appears to be something going on but I donā€™t no if itā€™s enough to cut the trace. Something has happened to one side of the trace though... CE4090CF-D7C8-41C1-9BEB-00F2E525C029.jpeg

Back