Soldering watts?

Zylent

I was working on a projet and mi soldering iron died. I wanna buy another but i have only found in 40 and 60 watts. Its too much heat? for this kind of projects? normaly i used 25 to 30watts.

I was working on a projet and mi soldering iron died. I wanna buy another but i have only found in 40 and 60 watts. Its too much heat? for this kind of projects? normaly i used 25 to 30watts.

How much are you wanting to spend? If you are going to do a lot of soldering and want a good station I would suggest looking at the Hakko FX-888d. It is a good quality iron and will last you for a long time.

From what I understand, wattage isn't about temperature. An iron with a higher wattage will heat up quicker and maintain a more stable temperature; the temp won't drop as much if you're heating a big joint. But like others are saying, if you can find one get one where you can control the temperature like the Hakko. They heat up in seconds. I keep mine around 330-350degF for most soldering, but if I'm soldering something that requires a lot of heat like the ground on the back of a guitar pot, I'll crank it up to 500-600deg. Or if I'm desoldering a part and don't care if I ruin it.

Back