Soul Vendor - input sensitivity

Hi everybody!
A while ago I finished my build of the Soul Vendor. I like the pedal a lot, although it has a lot of gain. Previously, I built a Sun face clone (Analog Sun) from another supplier. This circuit has a trimpot for input sensitivity:
Analog Sun input sensitivity.png

Do you think it is possible to put a trimpot (or another potmeter) in the Soul Vendor, before C1 (red arrow)?
Soul Vendor input section.png

Thanks! Then I will try this. Is it wise to cut the trace between the input and C1? Or just remove and replace C1 and insert the pot on the input side of C1?
Soul Vendor C1 pcb.png

I wouldn’t cut the trace personally. I would remove C1 then send pad one of where C1 should be to pin 1 of your clean pot. Solder the 100N to lug 2 of the pot then send a wire from the other side of the 100N to pad 2 of where C1 was. Hope that makes sense.

I'm quite new to this, could you please explain the difference? Is it then not only attenuating the signal, but sending it to ground entirely?

A Series Impedance (variable resistor) will change the texture of the pedal and reduce gain slightly. A Voltage Divider will reduce input gain more significantly giving you all the benefits of the series resistance while actually reducing the signal significantly if need be.

If it's not a problem if the pot is before the pulldown resistor R1, I think this is the best and least invasive solution, thanks!
The pot *is* a pulldown resistor since it's tied to ground.

edit: oops - I looked at the schem too quickly and didn't notice that the pot is wired as a variable resistor in the sun face... tying pin 1 to ground per big monk's suggestion gives you the additional benefit of a pull down resistor.

Okay, I think I get it. I like the way the pot works in the Analog Sun, and there already is a pulldown resistor. I would like to use the new pot just to accommodate the pedal to different guitars, I have quite a few of them. If I need to kill more volume, I'll use the dedicated pot on my guitars :) . I'll try to solder in the pot and will report back here!

Back