Space Heater - simple tube preamp

Just finishing wiring up my SH. Is there a proper orientation required for the IRF740? I don't see any indication on the PCB.

I had the same question, didn't see the line, I just looked at @vigilante398's build pictures and copied the orientation......makes me look smart but I'm just a monkey....hahaha

I got this right the first time by pure guesswork and deduction just cuz the lines silkscreened on the PCB seemed to show a “fat” side and a “thin” side to the plastic sammich around the metal plate.

Got things rectified (amplifier joke??) with the IRF740 and when the GAIN is turned up a little over half way I get a "warble" (sounds like R2D2 from Star Wars) followed by a high pitched screeching the rest of the way up. Its roughly a high frequency multiple of 60 hz cause it is enharmonic with the B on my guitar. Tried two different JJ tubes. No problems on the LEVEL. Got any recommendations?

Last edited:
Got things rectified (amplifier joke??) with the IRF740 and when the GAIN is turned up a little over half way I get a "warble" (sounds like R2D2 from Star Wars) followed by a high pitched screeching the rest of the way up. Its roughly a high frequency multiple of 60 hz cause it is enharmonic with the B on my guitar. Tried two different JJ tubes. No problems on the LEVEL. Got any recommendations?
Can we see a picture of the build? What kind of tube do you have in it?

JJECC83S tube. Pics attached. I scrubbed everything down with alcohol when done. I was using an exacto knife to be sure there wasn't any "spill over" on the solder joint adjacent to the bottom terminal of the IRF740. It scratched the brown surface of the PCB and it appears that there is copper underneath. Could I have messed something up there?

Attachments

• IMG_3091.jpg
    IMG_3091.jpg
    903.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3093.jpg
    IMG_3093.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3094.jpg
    IMG_3094.jpg
    548.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3095.jpg
    IMG_3095.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3096.jpg
    IMG_3096.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 26
I was going to use an ohm meter to see if any of the solder joints bridged. Some "register", but that may be due to their placement in the circuit so I started to note them on a photo of the PCB from the BOM only to notice that the BOM layout appears different than the PCB I have. VIG, am I crazy?? (don't answer that). . . .

Completed PCB.jpg

I was going to use an ohm meter to see if any of the solder joints bridged. Some "register", but that may be due to their placement in the circuit so I started to note them on a photo of the PCB from the BOM only to notice that the BOM layout appears different than the PCB I have. VIG, am I crazy?? (don't answer that). . . .

View attachment 35651
You're not crazy, you have the newer version of the PCB which has the LED mounted under the tube socket. Updating the build doc with current pics has been on my to-do list for a while now. It will get done eventually.

I don't think you messed anything up scratching through to the copper ground pour, so I don't really have a solid answer.

View attachment 35651
I would check your Resistor values are Correct?
Here is a Resistor Calculator, Click on Bands for 5 colours.:
Check your Solder Joints, this one doesn't look right circled in Red:
IMG_30941.jpg

These look Suspect, the one next to Out looks Iffy???

Completed PCB 1.jpg

Last edited:
I would check your Resistor values are Correct?
Here is a Resistor Calculator, Click on Bands for 5 colours.:
Check your Solder Joints, this one doesn't look right circled in Red:
View attachment 35663

These look Suspect, the one next to Out looks Iffy???

View attachment 35666
The solder pads are pretty tight on this one. You're solder joint game needs to be super on point, just enough solder to get a good bond but not too much or you'll get a bridge, it took me 2 boards to get my first working pedal. The the spots Phil has pointed out in red are definitely suspect.

I have rebuilt my Space Heater starting with a new board. After soldering and cleaning I examined the board for possible solder bridges and I once again hit upon this guy and sure enough get continuity across the solder joints. . . .
Solder side.jpg

Print side.jpg

I could swear that the two solder joints are not touching, but the meter says "yes". The schematic contained in the BOM is the old one and does not correspond to this layout, but from what I can deduce from the old schematic this could be the first stage plate resistor which is separate from the 220K further down the line by the 100n coupling cap which should prevent this "connection" from happening by design shouldn't it? And if this is the 220K contained in the PS then it DEFINITELY should not be happening. Nathan, can you please verify.

Last edited:
Back