Station Wah as Seagull...

Big Monk

I have too many in the queue right now but once I’m caught up, I figure I’ll use my leftover Yellow Fasel and make a Station Wah with a switch for reversing I/O for those Echoes style bird sounds. It will double as a fixed Wah which I’ve always wanted.

It will work, but it will be pretty boring if you can't modulate it by rocking the treadle. There are better places to pick off the "Echoes" tone than the input.

It will work, but it will be pretty boring if you can't modulate it by rocking the treadle. There are better places to pick off the "Echoes" tone than the input.

I’m not familiar enough with the effect. I imagine a better idea would be a switch on my Wah then.

I set my wah up in reverse one time to try the Echoes effect. It worked well. As Chuck mentioned, it’s all in the tone control. Also, it’s super loud…

Here's mine;

4vYKhIX.jpg

dOzzfsi.jpg

6uWSwhm.jpg

yQV1R1l.jpg

fmvmcJC.jpg

retrXbR.jpg

SZ9am80.jpg

I set my wah up in reverse one time to try the Echoes effect. It worked well. As Chuck mentioned, it’s all in the tone control. Also, it’s super loud…
It's not all in the tone control. The pickup select and wah treadle are also key ingredients in obtaining all of the possible tones.

As for being way loud, there is a better place to pick up the output signal when in Gilmour Mode.

It'll be similar to the Analogman Albatross, you can modulate the effect with the tone knob on your guitar.

I've actually thought about putting a reverse switch on the PCB for that very purpose.

Hell I got two parrots that give me plenty of bird tones, wanted or not!

A little background first. When David Gilmour recorded that famous "seagulls in outer space" tone, the CryBaby had the classic two transistor design. Same as the Tear Jerker, but without the DIP switch and trimpots. The output is taken off of the collector of the 1st transistor. This point is inside the feedback loop that controls the filter freq and it has a high impedance. The high impedance makes it sensitive to loading and the location inside the feedback loop means it could, under the right conditions, lead to oscillation. Guitar pickups are highly resonant and the tone control affects the resonant frequency in a big way. By happy accident, Gilmour discovered what happens when you connect a guitar to the CryBaby's output jack. The entire circuit breaks into oscillation and that signal is present pretty much everywhere. The input jack is one place to pick up the signal, but you could just as well get it from the output jack or other places in the circuit. When I tried hooking my GCB-95 backwards, I got the seagull tone, which surprised me because that design has a 3rd transistor installed as an input buffer. It's the same circuit as the Station Wah. The Seagull tone passes backwards thru Q1. If you want to be able to control the volume of the Seagull tone, then a good place to pick-off the tone is at or near the collector of Q2. I recommend connecting an A500K pot with pin 3 at the board output, pin 2 goes to the Gilmour switch and pin 1 to ground.

Here are the details of how to do it with the Station Wah. Other CryBaby derivatives such as the Tear Jerker and ShamWah can be implemented in a similar fashion. Only 2 new parts: VR2 and S2.

Station Wah CB mod.png

Yes. If you follow the wah with a volume pedal or distortion box, you can limit the signal and/or adjust the volume that way. The oscillations are 5x to 10x bigger than a typical guitar signal.

Yes. If you follow the wah with a volume pedal or distortion box, you can limit the signal and/or adjust the volume that way. The oscillations are 5x to 10x bigger than a typical guitar signal.

In your opinion, would it work better in a normal wah or in a fixed wah?

Back
Top Bottom