Sunshower (Marigold Fuzz)

Bret608

I'm feeling a little sheepish to finally be posting a build report for this when I participated in the trace thread a while back! I have to admit I had a failed build of this the first time around, so picked up a second board this summer when my daughter got me a PPCB gift certificate for my 50th b-day. I know what the problem was--the Ge diode I used was not leaky enough for the Q3 to bias (it had something like 6 megs of "reverse resistance"). I found that Chuck D. Bones had mentioned that possibility somewhere after I realized the build wasn't working. Problem was, I could not desolder that diode for anything! I clipped the old one out, but the leads were too thick to suck out of those small holes...

Anyway, I tested all my remaining Ge diodes and found a 1n34a with only about 3k of reverse resistance (so quite leaky). It biased up just right this time and sounds amazing! I used a OC141 with 135hfe and almost no leakage, same one from the first build. Thanks again to Pedal PCB for making this available to the community! Sunshower_Exterior.jpg Sunshower_Interior.jpg

Thanks for the kind words and likes, everyone! Also thanks the b-day, wishes, Chris! I always picture you and bio77 as around my age, at least if I'm going by the sonic referents in your clips and such.

Anyway, after playing around with the build more, I would highly recommend it. It definitely walks the line between BMP and Mk III really well. I turned it on and pretty much started Dinosaur Jr-ing right away (well, the rhythms not the leads, lol...).

Thanks for the kind words and likes, everyone! Also thanks the b-day, wishes, Chris! I always picture you and bio77 as around my age, at least if I'm going by the sonic referents in your clips and such.

You have a few years are me (I'm in my 40s) but we are definitely in the same era. It's was a rad time back then!

You bet! I should have pointed out for folks who want to build this that Antique Electronic Supply has the same transistor that I used in this for Q3, the OC141. I just tested one I got from them and it was around 197hfe and really low leakage, so higher gain than the one I used, but you could mess with the Zener values if needed to get to the 1.9-ish volts neighborhood on the collector.

Yes, the late '80s and early '90s were some rad times. It was sort of surreal to see things I thought of as underground suddenly on MTV in the middle of the day!

This hybrid TB is one of my favorites so far- and the Dinosaur Jr is right on! I used the OC140 as well.

Back