Dizzy Elk (Get Rad! Circuit)

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Hi everyone!

So this is my first build of 2024 and I feel I’m off to a good start! The Dizzy Elk has been at the front of my “to build” list. I’ve slowed down last year on building pedals because the enclosures have been something I’ve been trying to perfect but as I was building this guy it reminded me how much I love building pedals and have made a promise to myself to build more this year!

First off the circuit is a monster! I had researched the original Dizzy Tone Fuzz and found a few demos that blew me away. I was immediately convinced I had one of the best fuzzes in my hands. The build itself was incredibly smooth and that’s in part thanks to the board layout. I found out reading @peccary thread that @bean was behind the layout. My first madbean circuit and it was easily an awesome experience.

I simply followed the build guide on this and didn’t deviate from what was called for in the BOM. When it comes to the GE transistors, Q1 has and hfe of 58, Q2 has an hfe of 61 and Q3 has an hfe of 94. I went with a 1N270 GE diode for D1.

As for the design, very recently I’ve been infatuated with the DBA graphics and the way they have a chaotic look to them. After trying to replicate the style I had asked @Harry Klippton if my original design had looked good. His suggestions for the graphics left me knowing I needed to start over. After Looking through DBAs IG page I found the Soundwave Breakdown pedal they have and knew that’s the direction I wanted to go. The graphics are heavily inspired by that pedal and I think it works! Surprisingly the screen print captured all the detail except for the last “t” in the instrument.

@dawson I found those stainless steel hex bolts! 😎

All in all this pedal is one of my more favored builds and honestly the circuit alone has pretty much everything to do with it. @peccary thank you for sending out such an awesome circuit!

5 out of 5 for me!
Thanks for reading!
-Steve

IMG_2397.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2402.jpeg

IMG_2403.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg

Last edited:
Best pedal of 2024!!!! Holy F***ing SH*t!! That is one of the sexiest enclosures I have ever seen. Absolutely Killer artwork and layout too! I love everything about this build.
I really appreciate it man!

I plan on making more of these enclosures but i also have a few more new ones that I will be building soon!

Last edited:
Dude- holy fuck.
That's so good.

giphy.gif

Glad to add my 2 cents!

*All this talk of improvement over the original silk screen design though- I think the rest of us need to see where the journey began..

Back