Synth, octave, and pitch pedals in signal chain?

drgonzo1969

Im getting ready to re-do my pedalboard. where do you guys normally put your synth and octave pedals in the signal chain? im using a rev g20. i normally put everything except drive and fuzz stuff in the effects loop. I usually always have a Dunlop CAE wah and beano boost first in the signal chain. after that is all the fuzz and drive stuff. im thinking about putting synth and octave after the beano boost and before the fuzz and drive stuff. thoughts? opinions?

Octave / pitch, and synth pedals always go first in line for me.
For example, my current chain starts with a Digitech Freqout, into an EHX Ring thing, then either an Octarock or Divided Octaves.
Next comes my filters / phasers, then dirt.

Certain analog octave circuits don't mind a clean boost in front of them, and in certain cases can actually help with tracking, but I typically prefer to just send my mostly untouched guitar signal through em. With the way most pitch circuits work, you'd get more mileage having your Wah after them

I do have a HOG and another wackass envelope filter after my dirts, but thats just because I like making my guitar sound like I regret not getting into modular instead of whatever this guitar nonsense is

My boss bass synthesizer and digitech bass synth wah both prefer earlier in the chain as well. I can put them after a drive or two but definitely cleaner drive so it boosts into them.
To me the fun is putting a chorus after a sub octave to make it sound a bit more natural and get that bit of of movement.

Different orders for a variety of tastes.

Of course, stuff that needs solid tracking (Future Impact, Octavers etc) goes first/early in chain, for me

While most put Wah up front, I like mine after dirt (at least for Bass), though I like to keep an auto-wah before the dirt so it can react to the dynamics of my playing (I need to build a side-chain for it so it can go anywhere).
Filter
A tonal compressor like my Diamond after to tame a peaky-filter's quack.
Then, as DGWVI mentioned, the stuff that needs tracking after the boost/compressor.
Boost to drive dirt.
Dirt
Modulation
Delay
Reverb
Tremolo
Clean Boost
Limiter

CAUTION: *Board Contents may settle elsewhere during shifting and handling.

Sometimes Reverb goes near the beginning of the chain for ambient washes, and further to that...

I suggest to build yourself a small order-swapper looper and try different orders / settings without having to pull things apart. Once you settle on something you could take out the order swapper (or leave it in for that reverb-up-front idea or whatever.

Back