Tap Tempo

bretvh

Has anyone ventured down the tap tempo path yet? I have some vague ideas about how one could implement it, but have not jumped in yet. A search here or on the Daisy forums/slack does not seem to yield any results.

Just as a follow up, I have basic LED blinking code working. It's pretty basic, but it seems to track well so far.

I've got it in the infinite loop inside the main function currently. I do not know if it's poor practice to throw the System::Delay call in there. The 1k whine doesn't seem worse with that in place, but I haven't done a full test with all the effects going yet.

tapBypass is a boolean defined globally
bypass is a boolean defined globally and just indicates if the effect is bypassed
SWITCH_1 indicates if delay is bypassed or not

C++:
while (1) {
  // follow delay time and blink LED when the effect and delay are enabled
  tapBypass = tapBypass && hw.switches[Terrarium::SWITCH_1].Pressed() ? false : true;
  System::Delay(currentDelay/100); // maths are not quite right here, it does start to drift
  led1.Set(!bypass && tapBypass ? 1 : 0);
}

Also, Stephen from Electro Smith suggested using a timer to avoid having to do a system delay in case you have other functions in the while loop that need to operate at a different speed. His suggestion was more like the code below, but I had a harder time getting that to sync with the repeats.

C++:
now = daisy::System::GetNow();
 // Update LEDs at ~120Hz
 if(now - ledt > 8)
 {
      ledt = now;
      hw.led_driver.SwapBuffersAndTransmit();
 }

Last edited:
I have a tap tempo class written for controlling delays and LFOs.

I've been meaning to get it added to the terrarium.h file, I'll see what I can do.

Has the terrarium.h file been updated with the tap tempo class at this point? I see the last entry on this thread was January. I'm new to the Daisy and the Terrarium boards. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to Daisy and Terrarium.

Back