Tayda Drill for AionFX?

For your second question, the top side (B) is also divided into four quadrants (which I think you already understood, but I just wanted to be clear). See my picture below where the red circle is exactly at X equals zero and Y equals zero. So if you wanted to move the hole more toward the top of the enclosure from the dead center of side B, the Y would be a negative number and if you wanted to move it closer to the bottom of the enclosure from the center of side B, Y would be a positive number.
So I need to find the center point of the "Top" section and go from there. The Aion doesn't give that but it has some numbers that doing some measuring and math, I can find the right entries.

Also, don't always trust the dimensions in the Aion build docs. There were several problems with both the Spectron and Quadratron docs that I emailed them about and they don't appear to have updated them. My trick to verify my drill coordinates before submitting is to put them into OpenSCAD and then render and export it as a PDF, which I then print out and make sure it lines up with the build doc or my artwork or whatever. I'll attach an example. Rename the .txt file to .scad. The "sides" hash contains the dimensions of the sides of the enclosure, and the "holes" hash has the coordinates in the same order as you'd enter them in Tayda's Tool.

Attachments

• spectron.pdf
    13.6 KB · Views: 11
  • spectron.scad.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 6
My trick to verify my drill coordinates before submitting is to put them into OpenSCAD and then render and export it as a PDF, which I then print out and make sure it lines up with the build doc or my artwork or whatever. I'll attach an example. Rename the .txt file to .scad. The "sides" hash contains the dimensions of the sides of the enclosure, and the "holes" hash has the coordinates in the same order as you'd enter them in Tayda's Tool.
Thank you for the tip!

Last edited:
What?! Gah!

I guess I should use measurements from the actual parts.
With the Spectron and Quadratron, the top jacks won't fit because the holes for the enclosure screws will be in the way, so you need to squeeze them in a bit. That issue has been brought up on this forum before. But I also noticed a few other mistakes where the template in the build doc itself was fine, but if you measured the position on the template and compared it to the dimensions in the build-doc they were wrong. Here's an example:

Screenshot_20230428_134903.png
The trigger jack and the 3PDT line up in the template, but note the difference in the Y dimensions!?!

With the Spectron and Quadratron, the top jacks won't fit because the holes for the enclosure screws will be in the way, so you need to squeeze them in a bit. That issue has been brought up on this forum before. But I also noticed a few other mistakes where the template in the build doc itself was fine, but if you measured the position on the template and compared it to the dimensions in the build-doc they were wrong. Here's an example:

View attachment 47288
The trigger jack and the 3PDT line up in the template, but note the difference in the Y dimensions!?!
Oh no, that's not good

My trick to verify my drill coordinates before submitting is to put them into OpenSCAD and then render and export it as a PDF, which I then print out and make sure it lines up with the build doc or my artwork or whatever. I'll attach an example. Rename the .txt file to .scad. The "sides" hash contains the dimensions of the sides of the enclosure, and the "holes" hash has the coordinates in the same order as you'd enter them in Tayda's Tool.
My Mac says it won't open OpenSCAD because it "can't verify the developer." I'm sure there is a way to override this but it seems like the time I've put into this already is longer than manually drilling the enclosure myself :D

Also, don't always trust the dimensions in the Aion build docs. There were several problems with both the Spectron and Quadratron docs that I emailed them about and they don't appear to have updated them. My trick to verify my drill coordinates before submitting is to put them into OpenSCAD and then render and export it as a PDF, which I then print out and make sure it lines up with the build doc or my artwork or whatever. I'll attach an example. Rename the .txt file to .scad. The "sides" hash contains the dimensions of the sides of the enclosure, and the "holes" hash has the coordinates in the same order as you'd enter them in Tayda's Tool.
I have the OpenSCAD program opened. You import the .scad file you have renamed into OpenSCAD, correct? How do you generate the .txt file to start with?

I have the OpenSCAD program opened. You import the .scad file you have renamed into OpenSCAD, correct? How do you generate the .txt file to start with?
.scad files are just text, you can create/edit them in whatever you like, but openscad itself has an editor built in. Once it put in the coordinates, I render the drawing and export as pdf, which I then print and check that everything lines up. If it's good, then I use those values in Tayda's tool.

I see. I was able to change your spectron.txt file to a .scad file, import it into OpenSCAD, render it and export a PDF that looks like the one you included above. Without knowing a thing about how to use OpenSCAD, if you were me, what would be the easies way to make the coordinates? Should I copy and modify your spectron.txt file?

I see. I was able to change your spectron.txt file to a .scad file, import it into OpenSCAD, render it and export a PDF that looks like the one you included above. Without knowing a thing about how to use OpenSCAD, if you were me, what would be the easies way to make the coordinates? Should I copy and modify your spectron.txt file?
Exactly. Just copy the file and change the coordinates in the holes section and the size of the enclosure in the sides section. For example here's what I have for the Spirit Box:

Code:
sides = [
  ["A", [66.16, 121.21]],
  ["B", [66.16, 35]],
  ["C", [35, 121.21]],
  ["D", [66.16, 35]],
  ["E", [35, 121.21]]
];

holes = [
  ["A", [
    [7.2, 20.3, 38.1],
    [7.2, -20.3, 38.1],
    [7.2, 0, 38.1],
    [6.9, 0, -27.305],
    [12.2, 0, -45.1],
    ]
  ],
  ["B", [
    [8.1, 0, -4.4],
    [9.7, -15.2, 5.75],
    [9.7, 15.2, 5.75]
    ]
  ],
];

The sides values should work for any 125B from Tayda.

Allright! That woks, what a great work around to verify the coordinates. Thank you.

One thing to note. On the PDF file I exported from OpenSCAD the size of the "face," the "A" surface, is slightly bigger than the same surface in the Aion drill templated PDF I printed. Am I correct to assume that the "sides" measurements above are the actual size of the base of the enclosure, and the size that Aion prints is the top of the enclosure? Since the top of the enclosure is slightly smaller than the base? The holes line up otherwise.

One thing to note. On the PDF file I exported from OpenSCAD the size of the "face," the "A" surface, is slightly bigger than the same surface in the Aion drill templated PDF I printed. Am I correct to assume that the "sides" measurements above are the actual size of the base of the enclosure, and the size that Aion prints is the top of the enclosure? Since the top of the enclosure is slightly smaller than the base? The holes line up otherwise.
The dimensions do take into account the wider bottom. I grabbed the numbers from the Tayda datasheet:

The extra doesn't really matter since everything is based on the center. One thing I did do differently when I actually ordered the enclosures for the Spectron and Quadratron (from what's in the scad file I provided) is that I moved the top jacks in a bit from the edge so rather than being 6.75mm I did 5.75mm. The common hole sizes should all be fine in my examples, but you'll want to tweak the LED holes depending upon how you intend on mounting them.

Great, thanks! I am enlarging the hole size a bit from the numbers on the Aion document based on the fact that Tayda says to if you are using a powder coated enclosure, which I am.

Definitively excited to know about this process!

Back