TC Electronic Booster + Line Driver & Distortion (BLD)

mnemonic

Anyone interested in the TC Electronic Booster + Line Driver & Distortion? Seems to be a well-regraded pedal from the 80’s, long out of production now. I haven’t seen anyone else do a clone either.

attached is the original service manual with schematic and parts list.

the noise gate and buffering is probably unnecessary, but the rest is cool.

Switchable between boost or distortion. I’ve checked the schematic and the boost and eq section looks different than the tc integrated preamp (pedalpcb integral pre). Different part values in the eq, and I think the whole boost stage is different.

I would love to have a pcb of this and build a clone!

Attachments

• TC_dist_boost.pdf
    198.4 KB · Views: 174
Interesting, this is definitely going on the "to-do" list.

awesome!

I also have service manuals for the TC Sustain & Parametric EQ (SPE), and the XII Phaser, but I’m not really a compressor or phaser guy so I don’t know if those ones are actually desirable. The docs are too big to upload to the forum though so I will have to figure out a different upload method if you / anyone else wants them

Also, my interest was piqued on this pedal lately and I managed to buy a used one.

1-A9-B4316-D6-EF-40-B8-BC75-2149-FBDA8-F25.jpg

3-B2-E01-BD-ACEE-41-D6-B163-B506-A939-AAA4.jpg

it’s a real neat pedal.

the ‘boost’ function is definitely different from the integrated preamp (I have an original as well as the clone pcb), the eq range is less, but also appears to react differently, maybe different center frequencies or different bandwidths, I dunno. I think it’s easier to work with. Unlike the integrated preamp, with higher output pickups I can clip this pedal in boost mode if the volume is set too high. At 18 volts with high output humbuckers it will clip a bit with volume over about 3:00. With lower output pickups or single coils, less of an issue.

‘Distortion’ mode is pretty cool too, not high gain, more overdrive-level gain on tap. Sounds great with my strat. Less volume available in distortion mode. While it can get decently tight and high output in ‘boost’ mode, it’s a lot quieter in ‘distortion’ mode.

it sounds super cool with my strat into a tweed-style amp, I like how flexible the eq is. I can cut bass kinda like a tubescreamer or leave it flat or boost it, for a more full range boost.

the noise gate is also pretty useful which was a surprise. Its not a fast gate, but works very well for killing any hiss or hum from the pedal.

the retail manual states 8-18v dc power, yet also mentions using up to 24v. I was thinking about trying 24v (it sounds much better at 18v than it does at 9v), but looking at the parts list in the service manual, that HBF4007UBP looks like it may not be able to take more than 18v to 20v.

I had a hard time finding a datasheet for that chip, appears to be from the 70’s/80’s and made by SGS, but I can’t find exact details on that part number. I found HCF4007UBE (abs. max. 20v), and HBF4007A (abs. max. 15v) but I guess those aren’t the exact same part number. Not sure I want to chance it. All modern 4007 chips seem to be 18v absolute max.

I haven’t pulled the pcb (those old TC pedals are a pain in the ass to disassemble) so it might even have a different part number in it. I will probably have to disassemble at some point anyway as I bet those electrolytics are original.

Attachments

• TC electronic Booster linedriver and distortion BLD manual.pdf
    130.3 KB · Views: 91
awesome!

I also have service manuals for the TC Sustain & Parametric EQ (SPE), and the XII Phaser, but I’m not really a compressor or phaser guy so I don’t know if those ones are actually desirable. The docs are too big to upload to the forum though so I will have to figure out a different upload method if you / anyone else wants them
The TC SPE would be awesome... I hear that's the secret sauce in the early 90's Allan Holdsworth lead tone

Back