The big catch up (Bass Klon, Ocelot, Timbre Man, Quadratron)

flemming

I've been rather delinquent with posting build reports because things have been crazy. I don't post fancy demos and I don't have a ton of unique insights to share, so here's a great big dump of the pedals that I've most recently finished. Forgive my lack of cropping.

Chuck's Bass Klon
Lots has already been posted about this one. I made it for a bass player friend of mine and he was immediately sold on it and took it off of my hands. The enclosure is white + black + gloss on black sand and it doesn't photograph all that well, but it came out nice. I didn't have any problems with the white layer being misaligned anywhere so it gave the graphic nice height, but if I had to do it again I'd probably skip the white just to be safe.

PXL_20230604_225532797.jpg PXL_20230604_225544432.jpg

Ocelot
Straight forward build, didn't try and funny mods. The enclosure is metallic champagne and the graphic layer was supposed to be brown like the original OC-2, but the end result is much closer to black. I think this may be the first time I decide to use novelty labeling on the knobs. I was pretty happy with my idea for the graphics.
PXL_20230604_230028496-EDIT.jpg PXL_20230604_225404164.jpg

Timbre Man
This was one of boards done by @MattG based on the design by @HamishR and @Chuck D. Bones. Matt has sent me a couple boards now over the years and I feel like an ass for taking so long to get them done. Plenty has been written about this pedal at this point, but you can count me in as another fan. The graphics were a somewhat lame attempt at using an AI to generate a Picasso style sketch of an opera singer. I wasn't super happy with anything I came up with and wanted to get my Tayda order in so there you have it :)
PXL_20230704_175816455.jpg PXL_20230704_175830894.jpg

AionFX Quadratron

I totally fell for the FOMO when the Lovetone boards first appeared. I've had this one for a long time and I just wasn't all the excited to work on it. I find the AionFX boards in general to be more of a pain. I think I'm just spoiled. The pictures have all kinds of weird glare, so I promise my soldering on those pots isn't that sloppy. It's a phaser, it phases and it has lots of knobs and switches. I also have a the Redshift so I think I have some subconscious desire for a larger fancy phaser, but usually I just use my Phase II 🤫 I've previously written about how the drill template on this board is wonky, so be advised if you're using the measurements in the doc. The enclosure is metallic light gold.

PXL_20230704_175934181.jpg PXL_20230704_175800155.jpg

Great stuff. I like how each one of these have a different theme. You should be proud of these builds!
Funny enough, I'm always jealous of the people who have found their own distinct style and carry that through in all of their builds. Grass is always greener and all that :)

Wow, these are all so great. Excellent work!

Your Quadratron in particular has inspired me to dump my current idea for mine (I was trying to copy the colors/graphic of the original, but it keeps looking like a McDonald's design reject) and go for a "phases of the moon" type of direction.

Thank you so much for sharing these!

WOW! Those are some gorgeous pedals!
Top notch stuff, and I'm also a fan of the different styles and your use of texture with the varnish on the bass Klon and phaser.
Thanks also for providing the enclosure colors, it's great to have these "real-life" references when wondering which color to use.

Back