Tone Vender MK1 OC75 question

TheHammer1982

I need a quick sanity check lol. On the Pedal PCB Tone Vender MK1, does the red dot on the OC75 go to the left or to the right? s-l1600.jpg

That's how I have it installed. The pedal has a very harsh and raspy sound and turning down the attack causes the signal to cut out. I've heard that this is a finicky circuit to make sound right which is proving to be true lol.

That's how I have it installed. The pedal has a very harsh and raspy sound and turning down the attack causes the signal to cut out. I've heard that this is a finicky circuit to make sound right which is proving to be true lol.
The attack knob on the MKI is essentially a bias control. They really only have one position that sounds “right,” and even then it can still need a little help. No wonder Jeff Beck smashed his first one…

Of course I would pick the MK1 as my second fuzz pedal build lol.
I know your pain! I built a MKI, and it took me a while to get it right too. A good ear helps. If it doesn't sound right, play around with it. But once I nailed it, it was very rewarding, so keep trying. I swapped a few transistors until mine sounded right. It was definitely, a labour of love. Good luck.

I need to get some more transistors to try out. Hopefully I can find some that don't cost an arm and a leg
Cool! Yeah, mine has a CV7003, which cost me £20, there £40 pounds now, so it just goes to show how germanium’s go up in value. The others are a ac128 and a 2g302. It’s taken me a while to build up a collection. I've mostly gotten mine from eBay, have bought lots of job lots and have been lucky. The amount of time I’ve spent trawling eBay has taken over my life. If I had one to start with?! 🤣

Here’s my readings which worked for me. It might not work for you! but it’s just somthing to maybe consider.
Q1 2G302 hfe 89 leakage 68
Q2 cv7003 hfe 111 leakage 16
Q3 ac128 hfe 220 leakage 250

What’s your hfe and leakage in your transistors?

Last edited:
I purchased a matched set from Small Bear early last year. I'll dig through my paperwork and see if I can find the specs.

After messing around with the attack along with the volume on my guitar I have been able to dial in some great sounds! I'm definitely not used to such a sensitive pedal but wow does it sound great once you get it dialed in.

I need to get some more transistors to try out. Hopefully I can find some that don't cost an arm and a leg.

I purchased a matched set from Small Bear early last year. I'll dig through my paperwork and see if I can find the specs.

After messing around with the attack along with the volume on my guitar I have been able to dial in some great sounds! I'm definitely not used to such a sensitive pedal but wow does it sound great once you get it dialed in.
Nice one! Yeah, it’s a very organic pedal. They can sound different from day to day. But hey, that’s germanium for you. Have fun. 👍🏻 And nice to chat with you.

Back