Top Five

I had to think about this one for a bit, and it comes down to individual taste and what you are trying to do, but for me the most fun and useful PPCB builds that others might like have been

1) Muzzle ( I don’t know why people have such a hard time with this one, it works great.)

2) Hydra (really unique delay I don’t think there are any other multi head diy delays out there… at least that I have seen.)

3) Arachnid (this project is only limited by your imagination… sooo many cool things can be done with this.

4) Binaura (yes it’s like the Arachnid but Stereo!)

5) VIIB ( not a huge fan of modulation that gets too “wiggly” but it’s a fun build with some bells and whistles like bufferd/ true bypass and momentary operation

Get ready for tectonic upheaval. I had been running 2 delays set different ways till I got my hydra finished a bit back. I don't even need to hardly touch the knobs, just flipping the toggles gets me really close to how I would dial in my delays...
...Except for the glaringly missing reverse delay. I don't know a diy project that does that as of yet.

I have the schutone dm-3 up next for diy delay so it is possible the hydra won't stand a chance in the face off.
I'm very excited!! also my fv1 dev board is almost done so maybe I'll start experimenting with reverse delay....

For me it would be something like:

1) Low Tide Modulator--This was my white whale back when I first started building. It's probably the most interesting pedal in terms of sounds that I've put together, and feels like a reasonably do-able build all things considered.

2) Chop Shop Overdrive--I love the sag on this one, and think it's especially great as a lower gain overdrive.

3) Caesar Chorus--Fairly versatile and great sounding chorus, I use mine all the time

4) Son of Ben preamp--This was the first build I did that made me go "holy shit, I built that??". It's got such a great drive sound to it, it was my main overdrive for a really long time.

5) Mayo Fuzz--Probably my favorite sounding fuzz that I've built. I love a versatile but straightforward fuzz, so this one checks all those boxes for me.

I'll play too:
  1. Muroidea Distortion - Rat is life, Rat is love
  2. Hydra Delay - it's just excellent, love the flexibility
  3. Threeverb - my reverb tastes are simple, and this covers all of them
  4. Caesar Chorus - one of the best chorus pedals out there
  5. Lead Solder Overdrive - for that high gain stuff I need once in a blue moon

The Neurocyton (Soma 63) is pretty incredible. I think I like it even better than the Broadcast, which is awesome. I'll second the Carcass (Carcosa). One of the best sounding and most versatile fuzzes ever. The Red Herring (Snapper) is cool, too. So many good ones...
You're going to stop with two more slots open?

I guess they were taken up with the bounty of post #21.

I'm most likely checking out the neurocyton and carcosa next order.

You're going to stop with two more slots open?

I guess they were taken up with the bounty of post #21.

I'm most likely checking out the neurocyton and carcosa next order.
You won't be disappointed! Okay, two more: Dung Beetle (Basic Audio Scarab) and Son of Ben (Benson Preamp). The SOB can be very bright sounding, in my experience, but really shines with the treble at about 10:00 and bass around 1:00. The Beetle can get really close to a germanium Mk 2 Tonebender but can do a lot more, as well.

I think bass-boards can more easily double as guitar-boards than the other way 'round.

Compressor, Envelope Filter, Delay, Sub-Octave, Curds&Whey all work great for both.

I just need to make sure my favorite fuzz boxes don't cut the bass freqs. That's usually a single cap swap to get there.

Compressor, Envelope Filter, Delay, Sub-Octave, Curds&Whey all work great for both.

I just need to make sure my favorite fuzz boxes don't cut the bass freqs. That's usually a single cap swap to get there.
Tons of the non bass specific fuzzes kick ass on bass like the cream pie/persca. Fran didn't let us down and we thank her for it. Finished a mountainking monolith recently that also does not disappoint there.

Tons of the non bass specific fuzzes kick ass on bass like the cream pie/persca. Fran didn't let us down and we thank her for it. Finished a mountainking monolith recently that also does not disappoint there.
Agreed on the Fran.

Bass fuzz is tricky for me. Sometimes there is this gross middy thing that happens that I can't stand.

I'm telling you, you gotta try the fallout cloud, especially with something like frequency interchange to juice the goods, it's *chef's kiss*

My guess:
  • Kliché
  • Parentheses
  • Paragon / Benson / Muroidea
  • Caesar
  • Spirit Box / FV-1 something or other

EDIT: Not including breakouts and other daughter boards.

My thoughts too. Top sellers are probably Kliché plus other overhyped-on-TGP-by-John-Mayer-wannabes, and gooped YATS with inordinate amounts of hype.

Top5s by PedalPCB veterans has got to be way more interesting. My wishlist has doubled thanks to this insightful thread.

Rangefinder into a cattle driver are my favorites for playing with a guitar into an amp. Pro-10 is extremely versatile. I usually use the bluesbreaker side with my baritone, the odr to compliment the brighter guitar tones I usually prefer. The Brown Betty is my favorite for recording. Usually use it with bass and a rhythm guitar track. I think the only pedalpcb build I've got in my modulation chain is a circulator, which I love (the Hydra delay is great but I built an aion Elysium and it's my #1 always-on delay right now).

Rangefinder into a cattle driver are my favorites for playing with a guitar into an amp. Pro-10 is extremely versatile. I usually use the bluesbreaker side with my baritone, the odr to compliment the brighter guitar tones I usually prefer. The Brown Betty is my favorite for recording. Usually use it with bass and a rhythm guitar track. I think the only pedalpcb build I've got in my modulation chain is a circulator, which I love (the Hydra delay is great but I built an aion Elysium and it's my #1 always-on delay right now).
The Elysium was my first delay build, that chip sounds beautiful. Liquid glass. I finished the Hydra last week and love it too though, probably a little more. But the Elysium is so, so, so pretty.

Back
Top Bottom