Triangle Muff / Hizumitas build

cdwillis

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
I mentioned it in another thread, but I've been teaching myself Eagle to design PCBs. I've made a few smaller ones (Arrows clone, Mosfet Boost, and a couple experimental boards). The big muff is one of my favorite circuits and I finally tackled a big muff style pcb with added tone bypass switch like V3 BMPs. The original idea was to make it for a 1590bb so I could use 1/2w carbon comp resistors. Turns out my resistors were too close together, so that'll be for the next version. I think I may switch to side jacks if I use a 1590bb again because the enclosure isn't as tall as a 125b where it's easy to place the jack above/below the back of the pots. I ordered two 1590bb enclosures from Tayda and unfortunately the one used didn't have the screw holes tapped with threads. I was very irritated when I realized I couldn't screw the back plate onto the enclosure. Hopefully we have a small enough tap and die at work to add threads to it. Also I ended up pulling the power filter cap and folding it over the switch terminals because I was afraid it was going to hit the back plate. Another reason to try a 1590bb2 from Tayda for the increased height. Anyway.

Tonight I built one of these boards with Hizumitas parts values, except I used 100k pots and the added tone bypass. I really really hate drilling enclosures. I've been spoiled building Pedalpcb boards with the predrilled Tayda enclosures. The Hizumitas sounds gigantic and if you're into muffs you should consider building one. The tone bypass works really well. The 150k resistor in the tone bypass section evens out the volume difference between the tone engaged volume drop and the tone bypass. The tone control with the Hizumitas values works so well I didn't find myself reaching for the TB switch much while I jammed on it. The bypassed tone had a nice midrange, but a little lack of high end since the unfiltered/toned signal is so smooth. Still a useable sound and I'm curious as to how this pedal sounds on bass guitar.

hizu1.jpeg

hizu2.jpeg

I mentioned it in another thread, but I've been teaching myself Eagle to design PCBs. I've made a few smaller ones (Arrows clone, Mosfet Boost, and a couple experimental boards). The big muff is one of my favorite circuits and I finally tackled a big muff style pcb with added tone bypass switch like V3 BMPs. The original idea was to make it for a 1590bb so I could use 1/2w carbon comp resistors. Turns out my resistors were too close together, so that'll be for the next version. I think I may switch to side jacks if I use a 1590bb again because the enclosure isn't as tall as a 125b where it's easy to place the jack above/below the back of the pots. I ordered two 1590bb enclosures from Tayda and unfortunately the one used didn't have the screw holes tapped with threads. I was very irritated when I realized I couldn't screw the back plate onto the enclosure. Hopefully we have a small enough tap and die at work to add threads to it. Also I ended up pulling the power filter cap and folding it over the switch terminals because I was afraid it was going to hit the back plate. Another reason to try a 1590bb2 from Tayda for the increased height. Anyway.

Tonight I built one of these boards with Hizumitas parts values, except I used 100k pots and the added tone bypass. I really really hate drilling enclosures. I've been spoiled building Pedalpcb boards with the predrilled Tayda enclosures. The Hizumitas sounds gigantic and if you're into muffs you should consider building one. The tone bypass works really well. The 150k resistor in the tone bypass section evens out the volume difference between the tone engaged volume drop and the tone bypass. The tone control with the Hizumitas values works so well I didn't find myself reaching for the TB switch much while I jammed on it. The bypassed tone had a nice midrange, but a little lack of high end since the unfiltered/toned signal is so smooth. Still a useable sound and I'm curious as to how this pedal sounds on bass guitar.

View attachment 41648

View attachment 41649
Very clean work, I love the spacing in the board! I'm promising myself I'll take sometime to build a Hizumitas and I think that's going to be my weekend build to myself.

I really really hate drilling enclosures
Oh ? But it's so much fun.

You can put everything where you want, especially the led, add extra holes for mods... find creative things to cover the larger holes a bit over drilled... It's liberating, it's freedom. And all these healthy little aluminium particles on the table and in the air... Aren't they beautiful ?

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how this pedal sounds on bass guitar
Hizumitas on bass is

cookie-monster-kooky-oh-yeah-g9syb8aqxkqojukc.gif

View attachment 41648

View attachment 41649
I bought a 6-32 tap off Amazon to deal with those pesky untapped or over painted enclosure holes

Michael, does that fit the screws that come with the Tayda enclosures? I need to look up what size they are. I wanna say m8 something or other.

Michael, does that fit the screws that come with the Tayda enclosures? I need to look up what size they are. I wanna say m8 something or other.

Yah, all enclosure screws are standard imperial 6-32's for some reason. Sometimes it's just heavy paint.
I learned the hard way trying to force a screw in by breaking the screw head off. heh.

This one should work fine. If you don't have a tap handle, highly recommend you get one.

I have pedals on my board that have no screws…left off to “calibrate” the circuit, and I can’t be bothered to fix it…
Didn’t Eric Johnson take the screws out of his Fuzz Face to “make it sound better”? I seem to remember him holding it together with a rubber band.

Back