DEMO Uber Drive (Boss SD-1)

This post contains an audio or video demo
Sounding great!!! I definitely hear a mid hump though, the SD1 is similar to the TS in that regard (I read somewhere that Ibanez actually tweaked that circuit), and the hump is definitely part of the sound! I know it very well, it’s basically my favorite overdrive :)

Sounding great!!! I definitely hear a mid hump though, the SD1 is similar to the TS in that regard (I read somewhere that Ibanez actually tweaked that circuit), and the hump is definitely part of the sound! I know it very well, it’s basically my favorite overdrive :)
the chronology is more like this:

1977:
boss OD-1 (1st soft clipping drive)

1979:
maxon/ibanez OD-808 / TS-808 (basically took the OD-1, added tone control, replaced asymmetrical clipping pair with symmetrical pair, and a few other component changes)

1981:
then boss did the SD-1

Ah you are correct! OD1 for the win! :)
hell yeah! OD-1 is great.
it can be a bit thin (like the SD-1, imo) but you can just swap one of the high pass filter’s caps (47n) with something bigger for a bit more meat (like 56n or 68n - sockets are great for this)

bro... 👌 i have to ask - where is the reverb coming from in these demos?
sounds so crisp and clean.
is it from a DAW/plugin?
It's really 3 things....I have two Deluxe Memory Man pedals (Tourbus + Total Recall) running into each other in a dual delay setup.
That alone provides a kind of "reverb" with the slight modulation I use. Then I'm running a wee bit of Gravitation reverb after the delays.

No software, all pedals.

Check out the demo in my Total Recall build report.

Well, I was so stoked by this pedal I ordered the OD-1 (Aion Corona) and found some NJM3403AD Opamps at SmallBear. I'm hoping it will sound more like the Raytheon RC3403.

I also ordered the Aion Aurum (OD-2)
and Aion Heliodor (OD-3). I found some 2SK184's at SmallBear for the OD-3
Not sure where I'm gonna find some 2SK117's for the OD-2 though. Might have to sub something. Or find some SMD's.

Well, I was so stoked by this pedal I ordered the OD-1 (Aion Corona) and found some NJM3403AD Opamps at SmallBear. I'm hoping it will sound more like the Raytheon RC3403.

Not sure where I'm gonna find some 2SK117's for the OD-2 though. Might have to sub something. Or find some SMD's.
I've literally used mmbfj201 for every boss drive pedal build. Aion recommends them as they are still available and he sells them but they are so close to the j201 I couldn't justify the difference.

Oh boy, I ordered the Aion Corona when I purchased the Uber Drive too... looking forward to seeing and hearing about your build.

@MichaelW I didn't appreciate some things about your build until I started building this one myself. This is my first pedal build other than the BYOC that I painted by numbers a few years ago.

I'm curious if that is a 125B enclosure and how did you measure to get the 3PDT Breakout Board to sit right on top of the main PCB where it is supposed to connect? That is classy.. I'm putting mine in a 125B and it seems to have more room than yours.

@MichaelW I didn't appreciate some things about your build until I started building this one myself. This is my first pedal build other than the BYOC that I painted by numbers a few years ago.

I'm curious if that is a 125B enclosure and how did you measure to get the 3PDT Breakout Board to sit right on top of the main PCB where it is supposed to connect? That is classy.. I'm putting mine in a 125B and it seems to have more room than yours.
That's actually a 1590B. I much prefer using 1590B's wherever possible. As to how the breakout board lines up, in most cases if I can fit a board into a 1590B in order to accommodate top jacks I have to move the whole drill template down a bit, which pushes everything down. Whether or not it lines up perfectly is not a given, it depends on the length of the board.

Check out this post.

Why do you prefer the 1590b over the 125b enclosures, Michael? I like having the wiggle room to finess my jacks around the top of the 125b enclosure if I need to. It doesn't seem like you really lose or gain that much surface area between the different enclosures as far as how it sits on a pedalboard.

Why do you prefer the 1590b over the 125b enclosures, Michael? I like having the wiggle room to finess my jacks around the top of the 125b enclosure if I need to. It doesn't seem like you really lose or gain that much surface area between the different enclosures as far as how it sits on a pedalboard.
I don't have a "valid" reason except that I hate to see wasted space inside an enclosure hahaha.
And the 1590B's are so dang cute.......

To be honest, If I were building a "real" pedalboard, I'd probably use all 125B. The height different of having mixed 125B and 1590B would be confusing and a distraction whilst tap dancing. But since I'm a "home studio only" player it really doesn't make a difference. Like I said, I have no valid reason hahaha.

Actually, if I were a gigging musician, I'd buy one of those new Tone-X modelers, everyone that's used them have said it's a total game changer in pushing the envelope in the digital realm. Then I would model all my amps and even model my DIY pedals. Program the whole set list for all my sounds and step through them. Then of course I'd also need some spandex and hair spray......

To be honest, If I were building a "real" pedalboard, I'd probably use all 125B. The height different of having mixed 125B and 1590B would be confusing and a distraction whilst tap dancing. But since I'm a "home studio only" player it really doesn't make a difference. Like I said, I have no valid reason hahaha.

Actually, if I were a gigging musician, I'd buy one of those new Tone-X modelers, everyone that's used them have said it's a total game changer in pushing the envelope in the digital realm. Then I would model all my amps and even model my DIY pedals. Program the whole set list for all my sounds and step through them. Then of course I'd also need some spandex and hair spray......

I've been moving away from 1590b/bb/xx also for this reason. I have started preferring a somewhat uniform height so 125b and 1590bb2 are mostly what l will be ordering in the future.

Back