Vero Adventures (Massif Famine, CF Doomi Drive, EAE Magic Missile)

Fuzzonaut

I finally took a deep beath and wired up some of the vero things that have been lying around on my bench, staring at me.

First up, a Frost Giant Massif, the Four Horsemen Famine edition. I think that means two extra controls, Fuzz and Bias.
Now, this started with two pieces of scrap vero, that got tied together with the links, using thick solid core wire. Then I had this comically large 1UF cap lying around for years - so yes, if it fits, in it goes. But there's more: I thought I'm smart enough to put in a resistor instead of the bias knob ... only to find out, that the value didn't work. So, pulled it, and added somehow a trimpot, that now sits on the cap. :LOL: Hey, it works fine now, so whatever.
The embarrassing gut shot:

massifg2.jpeg

Looks better from the outside ... and yeah, sounds great too!

massif.jpeg

Then, a Creepy Fingers Doomi Drive. Not much to say here. I had only one 2N5089 left, tried a few things and settled on (for now): Q1 2n5088, Q2 2N5089 and Q3 MPSA18. Sounds pretty good, Bottom knob is very nice and between Bottom and Drive, there are many cool sounds to be had. From surprisingly "cleanish boost" to "quite heavy OD".

doomi.jpeg

doomi-g.jpeg

And the EAE Magic Missile. What EAE says about it: "This is a six-transistor silicon fuzz/drive. It takes some inspiration from the Escobedo/Devi Ever lineage of transistor fuzz. All manner of transistor drive and fuzz tones are available. The input capacitor blend alone can tailor the character across a big range." That sums it up nicely. I went with 2N2222A/2N2907A for the Q3/Q4 combo.
"Filter" is a HPF.
I had to trouble shoot this one .... the leg of one cap got into the wrong row ... I'm too old for vero.

magic.jpeg
magic-g.jpeg

If you made it this far: Wow, thank you!

Those graphics are epic.

Well ...

elvis-thankyou.gif

Where are those images from? They all look like comics I would want to read.

Doomi and Magic are from gig posters ... the Massif, I actually don't remember for sure.

I do sometimes use comics, like Moebius for example, or also B movie film posters - and then "zoom in" on a fitting part.

Doomi and Magic are from gig posters ... the Massif, I actually don't remember for sure.

I do sometimes use comics, like Moebius for example, or also B movie film posters - and then "zoom in" on a fitting part.
It looks like Malleus artwork. I love Moebius. The Incal with jodorowski is one of my favorites but I dig Arzak and blueberry too. They made blueberry into a movie that was pretty great and terrible at the same time.

I finally took a deep beath and wired up some of the vero things that have been lying around on my bench, staring at me.

First up, a Frost Giant Massif, the Four Horsemen Famine edition. I think that means two extra controls, Fuzz and Bias.
Now, this started with two pieces of scrap vero, that got tied together with the links, using thick solid core wire. Then I had this comically large 1UF cap lying around for years - so yes, if it fits, in it goes. But there's more: I thought I'm smart enough to put in a resistor instead of the bias knob ... only to find out, that the value didn't work. So, pulled it, and added somehow a trimpot, that now sits on the cap. :LOL: Hey, it works fine now, so whatever.
The embarrassing gut shot:

View attachment 62451

Looks better from the outside ... and yeah, sounds great too!

View attachment 62452

Then, a Creepy Fingers Doomi Drive. Not much to say here. I had only one 2N5089 left, tried a few things and settled on (for now): Q1 2n5088, Q2 2N5089 and Q3 MPSA18. Sounds pretty good, Bottom knob is very nice and between Bottom and Drive, there are many cool sounds to be had. From surprisingly "cleanish boost" to "quite heavy OD".

View attachment 62453

View attachment 62454

And the EAE Magic Missile. What EAE says about it: "This is a six-transistor silicon fuzz/drive. It takes some inspiration from the Escobedo/Devi Ever lineage of transistor fuzz. All manner of transistor drive and fuzz tones are available. The input capacitor blend alone can tailor the character across a big range." That sums it up nicely. I went with 2N2222A/2N2907A for the Q3/Q4 combo.
"Filter" is a HPF.
I had to trouble shoot this one .... the leg of one cap got into the wrong row ... I'm too old for vero.

View attachment 62455
View attachment 62456

If you made it this far: Wow, thank you!
Those are some seriously sexy Vero builds! I have a ton on my bench that need wiring too hahaha you’ve inspired me to tackle them! Great work on all the off board wiring.

Back