Vimex pots ok?

Grubb

I couldn't get some particular pots from Tayda for a Tommy III so I ordered Vimex brand ones from Pedal Parts Australia. Are Vimex any good?

I've used some and they appear to do everything the Alpha pots do. They seem well made and haven't given me any issues. Its funny because I would never use Alpha pots in my amplifiers but they seem to be THE option for pedals. Probably because CTS don't make pots this small. :)

Totally fine. I actually prefer them to Alpha if I’m given a choice. Fiberglass wafer is a lot stronger than that orange wafer that Alphas use.

Vimex anything is going to be good, they only sell commercial manufacturing grade parts in bigger quantities. Not easily available to hobbyists most of the time. I wouldn’t worry!

What I like about Vimex pots is that they don't require drilling extra small hole.

I'm wondering if there are other distributors apart from Pedal Parts Australia who store them?

A lot of the boutique brands are using Vimex. I believe that's what StompBoxParts has in stock, but I could be wrong. (I was wrong, lol)

The only "negative" thing I can say about Vimex pots is that the lugs seem to be thinner gauge than Alphas. They bend and warp really easily.
This really isn't an issue once a pedal is built.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asked StompBoxParts if they have Vimex pots and the answer is no.

Probably someone knows where to get them in little quantities.

Vimex anything is going to be good, they only sell commercial manufacturing grade parts in bigger quantities. Not easily available to hobbyists most of the time. I wouldn’t worry!
Yep, contacted them and they said that the MOQ would be 128 for a pot. And I'm not sure they have a US based distributor.

note that stepping on any pot will likely destroy it

at least the one I creamed the other day

What I like about Vimex pots is that they don't require drilling extra small hole.

I'm wondering if there are other distributors apart from Pedal Parts Australia who store them?
No need to drill a small hole for the Alpha pots. Just use pliers to break off the tab from the pot.

I have never seen anything to suggest that is the case,. It certainly does not hurt the integrity of the pot.

I snip them off with flush cutters and it's kind of satisfying. They do come off at near the speed of sound, though.

I have never seen anything to suggest that is the case,. It certainly does not hurt the integrity of the pot.
Not at all. I just don't understand why Alpha does not manufacture 16mm potentiometers without this tab.

I wonder how many applications anymore actually use those tabs to secure the position of the pot to the surface? Is the tab even mentioned in the Alpha datasheet (aside from being shown in the drawing)?

Those giant rotosound-style enclosures come pre-drilled w the extra orientation hole, the idea of actually using it ticks a very particular Virgo box for me.

Those giant rotosound-style enclosures come pre-drilled w the extra orientation hole, the idea of actually using it ticks a very particular Virgo box for me.
Ahhh ---- there's the optional use case for the peg!

Reactions: fig
Back