Vintage pulls

hamerfan

I am relatively new to pedals, i build my first last year. But i have some experience with tube amps over the last 30 years.
When i bought my first vintage amp back then, i had a hard time to get 5881 tubes for it. When ebay came, i started to collected Used old Tung Sol 5881. After some years i had a little stash of 20 or so and let them grade to pairs. Up to now this is my backbone.
Now it comes to opamps. I found a dealer who sells tested pulls. How good are they?
I mean, i had to give the tubes a listening test as pairs an as singles in a tweed champ. I hear slight differences. What are your experiences with vintage pulls?
Fun story: i raided some old equipment for parts and found some nice caps, trimmers and an LM308-1. I ruined a trimmer, but i managed to desolder the other parts without overheating them.

Just one man's opinion, but...

The era when Tung-Sol, GE, RCA, etc. were making tubes was the peak of vacuum tube manufacture.

That's where we are now for semiconductors. Buying some ancient op-amp today is like being in 1958 and taking your nice RCA tubes out of your 5E3 Deluxe and trying to somehow get your hands on some 2023-made tubes instead.

When it comes to obsolete parts with no substitute, sure. If you can find SAD1024s for a good price, buy them all. And I can see a case for using the exact original obsolete IC type (e.g. LM308 in a RAT) for as near of a match to originals as possible. But outside of that it seems pointless to me.

Back